Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusty Window Frame

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swamp donkey, May 16, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I am looking at buying a first gen Jimmy and from this picture I see some rust on top of the window frame. Is this the dreaded rust everyone talks about? should I avoid a truck just becasue of this rust?
    to see the picture got to http://goodgoodgood.net/rusty.jpg

Thanks for all your advice.

2. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

That is the dreaded rust. If you are developing surface rust on the outside of the window frame, the inside is most likely rusted through or very soft (the part you look at while seated in the truck). Ask the guy for pics of the inside of the upper winshield frame with the visors pulled out of the way and doors ajar. It should be noted that even if you cannot see any rust, it may be lurking under the foam rubber door and top seals on the A-pillars, or under the hardtop where it meets the winshield frame. Best bet would be to see the truck in person if at all possible.

3. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

That's what I thought. I may go look on Sunday. Just wanted to know what to look for.