Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RV Cam ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chevit, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I tow a 4000 lb. travel trailer 1-2 times a month. Back in Feb. I tore down the top end of engine due to a bent valve, at that point my bro-in-law suggested installing a rv cam which we did. I did not notice any difference at all when towing thee rv. The motor is a stock 350 goodwrench (crap) with rv cam installed. Do I need to change intake as well for this to work ?

84 K5, Crate 350, 700r tranny.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

RV is a pretty generic term and is thrown around a lot. I swapped in a Comp Cams 260HE in my 350 and noticed a huge difference. I also added headers and free flowing exhaust though.

Do you know the specs on the cam?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

No I don't have the spec's but I will try and find them.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What are the specs on your 260?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. tRustyK5

The Comp Cams 260H is 212 degrees of duration at .050 both exhaust and intake. Lift specs are .440 lift int and ex. Lobe separation is 110 degrees.

Comp has several good cams for towing and low end torque...their dual pattern cams are actually a bit better overall as they really help if you don't have great heads. If i was going to replce this cam I would use the Extreme energy line of cams.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

How do these specs sounds for a good low-end torque cam with a basic GM crate 350?

Duration at .006 Lift: Intake 278° Exhaust 288°
    Duration at .050 Lift: Intake 204° Exhaust 214°
    Lift at Cam: Intake .280 Exhaust .295
    Lift at Valve: Intake .420 Exhaust .442
    Centerlines:
    Lobe Separation: 112°
    Intake Centerline: 107°

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Better than a stock 350 but on the mild side for sure. Should idle nicely and have good low end torque.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

As Rene said, "RV cam" is an over used term in describing cams. Most of the RV cams I've played with were better than stock for low end torque and idle quality. I have had the best results with "RV Cams" after I changed to either a Edelbrock Performer or the older no longer made Streetmaster manifolds.
    I generally look at the complete spec sheet on cams for the lift, duration, overlap, lobe seperation &amp; centerline. Look for around 200-220 duration @ .050 lift, ,440-,480 valve lift and 110-114 degree lobe seperation. This will build good power in the 1800-3500 range. Too easy to go with too much cam. Better to error on the mild side and much easier to live with. Rene's choice is tough to beat, Comp Cams know their stuff

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

9. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I went with a comp cams 4x4 extreme cam and Ill tell you that the throttle response and pure brute torque is amazing compared to my stock cam.Its got 210/218 duration at .050 and .462 lift.But with your engine as with any engine you can only help its power output by installing a high performance intake as well as a free flowing exhaust.Do you need to do this?NO but it does help the overall performance when you add these items together.You have to be somewhat careful in the items you select though,Just determine what you want from your motor(low rpm power/torque,High rpm horses) and build it accordingly.You wouldnt want to run a single plane high rise intake with your cam and heads,whereas a good dual plane intake like the edelbrock performer or the wiend stealth intakes are a great choice!

10. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Oh i forgot to mention one other detail.Im not sure what brand cam you bought but my comp cams cam recomended to use a high performance timing chain and gears,reason being is that the cam has 4 degrees of advance built into it from the factory and the factory type timing gears have 4 degrees of retard built into them so alot of performance is lost due to this
    setting the cam back at 0 degrees.If you advance your cam timing a little You can expect to see a little more low to midrange power,perfect for a tow vehicle!

11. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

This Is all I could find at this time
    SEALED POWER CS-1014R [Camshaft] Perf.; Emis. Legal
    Cam; CARB E.O. #D-292-1; Hyd.; EP1 Cam; Duration @ .050; 204 Int.; 214 Exh.; Chevy Eng.

12. tRustyK5

Your cam specs don't look too bad, kinda hard to tel without lift figures though. Any cam improvement will be limited by stock restrictive exhaust. To get the most out of that cam I would go with some headers and free flowing mufflers. A good aftermarket intake would also help out too.

Rene

13. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

comp cams cam recomended to use a high performance timing chain and gears,reason being is that the cam has 4 degrees of advance built into it from the factory and the factory type timing gears have 4 degrees of retard built into them so alot of performance is lost due to this
    setting the cam back at 0 degrees.

<hr></blockquote>

Is a "high performance" timing chain the one with the 3-keyway sprocket? Not too sure if I understand the difference between stock and performance timing chains. How would I correct for the 4 degree advance? I'm confused!

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Is yours the 235? What all else did you have to replace? Lifters? Springs? I assume you did replace the timing set. Which one did you use? Any advice for this, gotchas, or things you would do diffferent if doing it again?

Brian

15. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I have 3" single exhaust with flowmaster muffler, but I do not have headers just stock exhaust manifolds and should I upgrade the stock intake manifold and add headers ?

16. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Yes im talking about a three keyway sproket or the adjustable ones with the allen key lock bolts on them.I went with the 235
    cam from comp cams and It definitely has torque and good power throughout the rpm range!