Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RVT on exhaust manifold gaskets???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 9, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

As many of you know, my exhaust system leaks rediculously bad after the motor swap. I had put the metal gaskets on one side, and not on the other, kinda as a experiement. Both sides leak. I just came back from the auto parts store. I have a new set of metal gaskets, and new set of 2&1/4 blolts and some lock washers. I really hate working on exhaust. its very difficult to get everything to line up, so I only want to be doing this one time.
    1) should I use some type of RVT (all I have is black and red)
    2)what torque patterns and ftlbs has worked best for you.
    Thanks very much for the help,
    James

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your having that much trouble I would guess that you have some seriously warped headers. Using the metal gaskets should take care of any leaking problems.

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

ttt, anybody add any kinda sealer to metal gaskets, or are there any other tricks.. any specific torque patterns that would help?
    thanks,
    James

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

No really specific torque patterns. If you feel the need to use RTV, use the red stuff. Get some manifold spreaders!!! They are worth the small price.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I have used copper RTV in the past, but it sounds like you have other issues.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

working at a exhaust shop taught me to use copper rtv. btw hes got manifolds.

7. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I've heard that you can get by without gaskets, and just use rtv, if both your heads and manifold are flat. The manifolds can twist or warp over time, and be hard to seal, so take them to a machine shop, and get them milled flat. I tried this once on an Amc motor and it worked pretty good.

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

A big problem with old manifolds is that they tend to warp when you remove them. Manifold spreaders allow you to re-bend them to make them fit so you can screw the bolts/studs in. Your manifold has probably had it. Either get a new one, have your old one machined flat, or upgrade to a set of headers.

When I did my motor swap, the manifold was a PITA. Had to replace all the Ypipe studs too, drilling most of them out cause they broke off upon removal. Eventually Im gonna get a set of headers when I figure out what direction Im gonna go with the powerplant.