Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RYAN ('73 K5) !! ROCKS !!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

RYAN (\'73 K5) !! ROCKS !!

I just wanted to let everyone know what they probably already suspected.....our fellow list member Ryan (aka '73 K5) is a stand-up dude!!

I bought the Alpine 7930 that he was selling on this board, and it arrived today in beautiful condition. It was packaged great, and it works like a champ! For the record......the 7930 DOES play CD-Rs without any problems. I was able to test this myself just moments ago.....[​IMG]

So now I've got a pretty impressive collection of parts piling up in the garage:

(4) a/d/s/ 400W amps
    (1) a/d/s/ 642ix Crossover
    (1) AC-502 Bass Controller
    (1) a/d/s/ DIN-Assignment module
    (1) Alpine CDA-7930 Head Unit

On the Way:

(2) JL Audio 10W3 Subwoofers
    (4) G&S 6.5" Mid-Bass Drivers
    (2) G&S ODKD Tweeters

Still Need:

Lots and Lots of power cable, distribution blocks, RCA's, etc.
    2 Farads worth of Stiffening Caps
    (1) Extra Battery and Battery Isolator

Maybe I should get a set of "Add-A-Leafs" to deal with all this extra weight? [​IMG]

-Greg72

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Re: RYAN (\'73 K5) !! ROCKS !!

ummmm... sorry to point this out to you... but you forgot the most important part you will need.....

Ear Protection while listening....

but seriously..... To all that are getting into car audio or already partake in our great sport... Get ear protection when playing at high volumes... You will harm your hearing if your not carefull.. The effects dont always show up right away.. It could be years before you start to notice the hearing loss... I feel this is very important to say and all need to take care and use safety equipement...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. Greg72

Prem,

Funny advice from YOU considering your .sig line!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

I just want to make sure I can hear some music over the sound of my big-block and those Flowmasters......Honest! [​IMG]

-Greg72

4. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

HUH? WHAT??? Did you say something? ... JK ... Good points to bring up. Way back when (like 12-odd years ago), they didnt really talk about it much. I didnt use plugs or muffs much then. Come to think of it, I dont remember many judges using them either. Anyways, I do have some hearing loss. It's not too bad but I do tend to keep things a bit milder now.

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

why you think i got to turn it up.... i started off and didnt get this advice... [​IMG]...j/k... Yea its kinda redondent [spelling?} isnt it...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    You crack me up man. I'm sick and I have felt like crap all day and seeing your post made me laugh more than I have all day. I feel so special. lol
    Well its good to hear you got it OK. I hated to let that Alpine go, but it was just collecting dust and it feels good to help a fellow CK5 brother out.
    Be sure to post some pics when its installed! [​IMG]

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Greg72

Ryan,

I will definitely keep everyone buried in photos as I start the install !!! [​IMG]

It is really killing me not having the speakers yet. Though to be honest, I really should do a "dry run" with all of this equipment on the test bench BEFORE I stuff it all into the K5. This whole system will be actively-crossed over, so I need to insure that I am sending the correct frequencies to each speaker. The subs will play from 20Hz to 85Hz with a 24db/octave crossover slope....the mids will pick up at 85Hz and continue to ???Hz before being crossed off. The tweeters are rather unique because they can actually play all the way down to 1500Hz if I wanted them to. I still have some experimenting to do to see what cutoff frequencies will sound best.

Hey, how do you guys set your MOL? (Maximum output level) The shop I've used in the past uses an oscilliscope, and a test CD (playing the "ALL HIGH BITS" track, I believe) and they actually look at the sine-wave output for signs of clipping. First they use the RCAs off the head unit (usually is capable of full volume without distortion), then the connect the next component in line, and crank up the input sensitivities until they get the same voltage output (and hopefully no clipping!)...and so on down the signal chain. I was thinking of getting a "cheap" oscilliscope off e-Bay or a local surplus shop. Any ideas about what I need to look for? It sure doesn't seem that I need much in the way of speed....I've found some 50MHz and 20MHz Scopes that are nice and cheap and might allow me to perform this function.

Any Ideas? I could also use some help picking out a DVM (you know, a multimeter?!) the prices are all over the map, from $29 for a cheapie....to a few hundred bucks.

-Greg72

8. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

A 20MHz scope ought to be more than enough. Considering you won't be testing signals much over 20kHz, I'd say that's plenty of sampling. I would think 1MHz would be plenty. As far as a DVM, I personally wouldn't get anything but a Fluke. They are $100+ (mine was closer to $200, but worth it, I think.)

9. Greg72

Jeffer,

That's kind of what I was thinking on the O-Scopes....even the "lowest models" seem to have plenty of range for what I want to do!

About the Fluke though.....what makes one model better than the next? Even Fluke makes models that are priced anywhere from $100 to $1000 it seems. Is it the accuracy you pay for, or the ability to measure more types of components (caps, inductors, diodes, resisitors, AC, DC) To be honest, all I can imagine needing it for is to look for voltage....maybe as a continuity tester, and occasionally to do some basic resistance testing.

-Greg72

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I will second that Ryan is an awsome guy. I bought a RF 800.2 amp from him at an outstanding price and it is mint... sounds awsome... He has also given me tons of info as well as a Prem... thanks guys!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

11. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    Mostly I use mine for voltage, continuity, resistance, and occasionally test capacitance. You're right all you are paying for are the options even the $100-$200 models have 4 decimal point accuracy. Fluke even makes some really sweet handheld DVM/Oscilloscopes for about $2500. One option that mine doesn't have that I wish I had gotten was a backlit display. It sucks to be on your head under the dash measuring something and not being able to read the damn meter. The other thing about going with a Fluke is that they are tough as hell. I've read testimonials about guys knocking them off of a 30 foot scaffold, and only needing to replace the fuse which shattered and using them for years after. That's pretty good far a precision instrument. As Dennis Miller would say "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."