Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RYNO LINE THE EXTERIOR?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wild-will, Sep 3, 2003.

1. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

IVE SEEN it done a few times what do you guys think?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't really get it, I know people have discussed it before and I think your body panels will still get beat just not see it since now they are a semi flat black.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hope you have about $2k burning a hole in your pocket, I hear that that's about what it costs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The pres of the club I'm in used roll on bedliner on the outside of his truck, it looks pretty cool but it always looks dirty since it's so rough textured.</font>

4. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

I got a qoute from a guy up here i brought my truck in he said he would do it for a grand.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Still a lot of dough for a trail truck, for a grand I assume that you're doing the prep on it too... </font>

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I'm going to use Durabak. About $300 total. My reasons: 1) it goes on with a roller, and if it gets messed up later with scratches or tears I can roller on more. 2) doesn't need as much prep work as paint 3) it won't show as many flaws as a smooth paint. 4) it can be painted so I can slap on a different color if I want later.

I was concerned about it collecting a lot of dirt and dust, but it gets that now in dusty, dirty Los Angeles. I'll just take a power washer and long handled brush to it when I want it clean.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think that's the stuff that Gokartergo used, and it always looks filthy. I could be wrong... </font>

8. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

Hey dude when you get it done be sure to put up some pics i wanna see how that stuff looks

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. I have Line-x in my interior and that cleans up pretty easily. Wonder if it's easier to clean with a clear coat on it. I had a UV coat put on my Line-x. Maybe that's making a difference.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've used three or four different brands of this stuff on my rig. So far Herculiner seems to be the worst to clean up. The best for clean up is Bondo brand. Some of you may remember when I first used bondo brand bed liner I really hated it. Turns out it was my mistakes not the liner. Anyway to make a long story short if you really hammer down the surface with like say 80 or even rougher like 60 you won't have any trouble. Nice part is, they make it in a gloss finish. cleans up nice and goes on thick. In the next day or two I will post some pics of my aluminum tonneau cover that I built for my DD and it has the bondo brand on that. turned out nice and wipes clean. Another advantage to the bondo brand is, two part system. It won't dry up on you if you don't use it all. Mix is 7 to 1.

11. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck is sprayed inside and out with Speedliner brand liner. I had it done to be different. As long as you own a pressure washer clean-up is a breeze.It's been doneabout 3 years and i havn't had any problems with it weathering. I have cut it in one place but that was due to extreme contact with some rocks.make sure whatever you use has a UV protector built in or applied to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Keep it away from your HOOTUS!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine was Heculiner. Red. My mistake was it was really bright when I first put it on.. I new it would fade some.. So I wanted to wait and put on a clear coat UV protection later.. It got dirty and the mud wouldn't come out of the pours. If I would have clear coated it from the start it would have been fine..

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

My take on bedliners anywhere:
    smelly when you weld near it
    adds weight that you really don't need
    hard to modify/repair the metal
    great protection for a TRUCK bed, or a K5 that will be used like a truck and NOT modified.

I painted Lava liner in mine about 5 years ago and could really do without it. It's basically a thick paint and while it was great for sealing up the tub, every time I've worked on it I get to smell burning urethane. I can't imagine if it was on the outside too. YMMV

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

here's a couple pics for ya. can't see a whole lot buy you can see the shine and how it matches up with gloss black paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]