Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ryno lining in the back of a K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Apr 4, 2005.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Has anybody tried this? My carpet in the back and front is shot and I'm thinking of getting a carpet kit for the front and spraying the back so i can haul stuff without worryin about carpet...

How easy is it to do? How many cans did it take?

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I called the local rhino shop and they quoted me $450 for the pedals to the tailgate for the lining... so I'd say about $250 for the bed alone. Don't know how many cans, since they use a big drum sprayer.

3. beastofablaze

I don't care if its a rhino lining or not just the same kind of stuff... I thought i saw vortex spray in a can on speed the other day but i was tired as hell.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i put herkuliner in the back of mine it is the type you paint on your self it is ok and good on the wallet and not slipery cost like 100 a gal and i could use more it is a good thin coat :grin:

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

www.rattleguard.com

I bought mine off ebay.... learned how to shoot it... works great... better than the other stuff out there... cheaper too....

now what more can a ck5er want

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I did the entire floor of my suburban with durabak. It went on pretty well and think I used 1 1/2 gallons, but can't quite remember.

7. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

after i get some money i wanna do all mine in por-15 then cover that up with line-x, but untill then its gonna be carpet lol

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I had the entire inside of my '90 Jimmy done. Yes it is more expensive, but my friend owns the local Rhino Lining shop so we go a little deal. It is not a rough as some other products and is easy to clean.

9. okblazer

okblazer Newbie

Yep. Took it in to have professionally done. Its a bit pricey, $300 just for the back end (floor and sides). Worth it in my opinion if you want it to be easy to clean the mud and dirt out. I've heard mixed reviews on the canned stuff. I also bought the molded polyvinyl floor mat for the front from LMC. Thats really nice too.

10. beastofablaze

Cool... Thanks For The Responses.

Anybody Try The Canned Stuff?

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I used herculiner in the whole interior, I have used about 1/2 of the gallon, yes there are some light spots since I didnt put it on really heavy but it hasnt pealed up or nothing even after thrwoing the hih lift and other heavy crap in there many times, plus I can coat alot more things with it, the most important to getting it to stick is the prep if you dont get ever thing scuffed and clean it will peel right up like tape.

12. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I also used herculine, and its great!! One of the best mods to my truck. It is rougher but still not hard to clean. And my truck leaks alot of water inside, but it still doesnt effect it. I did 2 coats with a gallon and a quart about $125, i got pictures if you want to see it

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dupli -Color any good??

I saw an ad in a "close out" store that has "Dupli-Color" bedliner spray for 1.99 a can :eek1: --but if I rememer right,most of the guys here who used that brand said it was crap!--and I think I used it on one truck I did the floors on about 5 years ago, and it peeled off after a few months,like it had silicone under it ,peeled off like saran wrap in big sheets..Is that the crappy brand everyone said to avoid???--I must be getting senile if I cant remember stuff like that,or had too many drinks this winter!... :blush:

I've seen Herculiner done with a brush that came out real decent--if I am going to buy some kind of bedliner stuff,I dont wont to waste money on the crap stuff--should I go for the Dupli-Color stuff??? :thinking: :ears: :what:

14. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Duplicolor is crap. If you do it yourself, go with Herculiner or Durabak.

15. beastofablaze

what all is invovled with do it yourself? do you rent a sprayer?

I saw an add for vortex where they took a cinder block and threw it off a 10 story building and it discinegrated... then they took another cinder block and threw it off the same building... IT bounced!!!

I saw vortex bed spray done out of a can on tv but since its tv i thought i'd ask if anybody knows "the truth" about vortex?

16. PatrickO

PatrickO Registered Member

I have the rear half of my suburban done with Herculiner. I used less than a gallon for two coats. I also used it in my old *gasp* F250 and my dad has it in his 67'. It has held up well. The only issue we have had is UV exposure - it looks great in the cab, but the Arizona sun does do a number when it's used as a true bed-liner.

The spray can stuff, in my experience, is pretty decent. It's a lot softer and easier to gouge, but it goes on more easily.

-Patrick

17. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

18. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Durabak comes with a textured roller. So after you sand down and clean everything up, you just roll it on.

19. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I went the herculiner route also. I'll try to remember to get some pics tonite. I grinded down everything then did a thorough rubdown with acetone. I got two good coats out of the 1 gallon size and I need to get a quart to finish the tailgate. I covered from the ledge in front of the back seat all the way back and up on the sides of the bed too. I think it came out really nice, especially for an area that doesn't see as much weather as a normal pickup bed. I did it just before the weather turned cold and am waiting to finish until the temps are consisitently a good bit warmer. I can attest that it did hold up through the winter to rain, snow, dirt, heavy stuff, waterfowl blood, oil, atnifreeze, etc.

BTW - my local Rhino shop quoted me 600-650 to do the same area.

20. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Herculiner also. I preped the bed with a wire brush and zyline. If you are using these chemicals be sure to use rubber gloves or they WILL get into your system. :(

[​IMG]