Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ryoken need your assistance, switching to floor shift.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Ryoken, I was wondering what type of shifter you put in your k5, I'm switching from column shift to floor shift, I added a custom 2" body lift, which threw my column linkage all outta wack, my netural is now by my leg...anyway, I want to switch to a floor shifter, that uses a cable. How exactly would this work? I've looked up shifters, so do they use an adapter that hooks the cable up to the tranny? Just looking to get this issue fixed up. I was in need of a column, and I have one from a manual, but it has the wiper on the dash, i'm guessing it can be wired in to work? thanks for the help.

Jack

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey Jack...

I run an Art Carr, or Winters Performance depending on who you talk to... Think Winters is distributing them these days under the name sidewinder... Google'll bring em up..

http://www.wintersperformance.com/catalogs/SideWinder/index.htm

super simple... pull 2 tranny pan bolts, put bracket on, hook cable to that and shift mechanism lever.. run cable, hook to shifter.. ditch all your old linkage..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

column swap is another story...

my 87 had wipers, h-lights and cruise.. I'm ditching that column and running a 77, manual, no tilt, no cruise column.. just turn signals... It is not a bolt in... the wiring plug for the turn signal assembly is different... And iirc, the ignition plug is different too..

being my whole harness is custom, no big deal, I'll hardwire it, but it can be tricky on other apps...

hope that helps...

3. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

The column I have is out of a 83 k5, mines an 85 with auto tilt cruise. I don't need cruise, i'm hoping it won't be too hard to swap the wiper switch and high beam switch

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think 80 is the swapover year for column, someone correct me if I'm wrong... So yours may match up... You could just detour your hi beam to an oldscool floor switch, I've considered that.. For now, mine is in my dash...

The wipers, I'd have to look at the diagrams.. I'm sure the old "in-dash" switch could be hardwired in...

I need to get to my column... waiting on some circuit breakers to get going on that...