Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ryoken

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 76zimmer, Apr 10, 2007.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Paul, have you ever watched a show called Scarred, on MTV?
    If you can check it out.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ryoken is a Z Boy........ or was it Bones Brigade? WHERE IS MY DOCUMENTARY VIDEO! Peggy Oki was HOT! HOT!!!

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

oh sheesh, I just went and looked it up... Just a review of it, no I hadn't seen it...

I have alot of stuff on the comp.. I've posted a few, but have some I won't subject you guys to... compound fractures, etc....

That stuff is strange for me... I can watch a large portion of that kinda stuff no prob.. But every once in awhile something gets to me.. Usually it's a knee getting all dislocated or something..

It's a different perspective when that chit's happened to ya.. I've certainly taken some huge wilson's in my day, head firsts into pools, blown out knees, etc...

Did you see this one? 60 total, 32 internal... Actually stitched up nice, considering it was an inch deep... :wink1:

[​IMG]

4. Resurrection_Joe

You're such a cool dude, the way you keep on rocking what you love even through the evolution of the sport and injury....

5. ryoken

Your too cool for Gettysburg! :bow:

Thanks tho, it's nice to have someone appreciate the perseverance and passion I've had for it... Many of my daughters friends have said the same thing, which always kinda brings a smile to your face when the younger generation acknowledges you like that...

6. ryoken

Hmmm, missed this one! :haha:

Actually both, the Dogtown crew was what I was weened on from 9 to 12.. skinny board era, broomstick coping on rickety ramps, learning to skate vert....

Adams wrecking coping...

[​IMG]

Bones Brigade started a couple years later, when the wide "pig" board era came out... I remember skating with Hawk when I was 15, what a dork, but boy he had some tricks!

Thats about this era, when I really started pushing my limits... Yours truly, getting styley... :wink1:

[​IMG]

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Hey, are those lime-green Kryptonic wheels and Tracker trucks on your skateboard??!!

8. Resurrection_Joe

Man, I'mma have to video myself falling off a skateboard this summer

All I can do is turn around on it, I can't even go in a straight line

9. ryoken

Yeah, thats Jay Adams on some green Krypto's and Trackers, good eye... :bow: Not sure what deck that is...

Those green Krypto's where fast as he!! for the day... Little rough on the street, but ripped in pools and ramps... :wink1:

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Out of curiousity, what percentage of the time do you wear a helmet? :haha:

11. ryoken

Well, since somebody got me going on skating here, I'll post a few old pics from the Z-Boys days, that noone here may have seen...

Couple more of Z-boy Jay that I dig....

backside tailtap with a hand on coping, sooooo ahead of his time, at the Dogbowl..

[​IMG]

Even today thats such a styley, fun trick...

And one of my alltime fave pictures.. Jay at the Oxnard Park with a lapped over and contorted frontside grind... Just oozes style and aggression...

[​IMG]

Note the coping dust coming off the back truck... :bow: :D :bow:

Frontside grind stuff has to be my sentimental fave stuff.. I always excelled at that stuff.. Earliest trick ya learn on vert, fs and bs grinds.

I remember skating practice rounds in the Kidney at Cherry Hill with some buds

[​IMG]

and getting in such a groove ripping fs grinds in the deepend, 3, 4 coping blocks long, big ole trails of coping dust flying off the back truck and it completely freakin out this grandma that brought her grandson to skate... She had no clue, not sure if she liked it, or it scared her! :eek1: :haha:

my skate story for the evening.... :D

12. ryoken

Thats a good question... :D

I'd have to kinda break it down on how often I wear the ole brain bucket..

Nowadays, anything over 5', 6' high walls, I'm wearing it, especially crete...

But I just wear my knee braces and pads if I'm skating mini ramp at my buds... Same for any hill bombing.. Flatland stuff, just knee braces..

Over the years, it's hard to say... Any park ya skated back in the early days, ya had to wear one, but honestly up until my early 20's, thats about the only time I wore it..

I started wearing it on my own in my early 20's when I was skating serious sessions at my buds ramp out in the woods.. Mainly cuz if you went unconcious at that ramp, you might be laying there a couple days! Plus, I was really at my peak prolly.. Big, fast tricks, some burly air.. Your 15' up, 5' airs on a 10' ramp, you can get hurt bad...

All that being said, amazingly, I've never had a head injury of any consequence.. no concussion type stuff, the occasional cut or scuff from a flying board or something... There's a shot in my gallery of a wood burn thing on my forehead I got skating mini...

But knock on wood, I've never been knocked out or anything... It's usually knees and hippers... :doah: :haha:

13. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Check it out, dude!

I had a Z-Flex board with the PowerPod tail skidplate too :woot: :woot: :woot: !!

14. ryoken

That board would be worth some coin nowadays...

Personally, I never had one, rode a couple... I was skating mostly these at that time..

[​IMG]

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Cool board!

The thing aboot my Z-Flex is that, being fiberglass, grabbing it withoot gloves I got a lot of fibers in my fingers where I scraped the edges.

Remember when Gullwing Trucks came out?!!

16. ryoken

yup, they where different for sure... Never owned any myself but rode a few boards with em.. They turned good..

I started out on Bennetts, then went to Trackers for a bit, but I've been skating Indy's pretty much since they came out...

17. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I'ts calling me....

101_0123.JPG

18. ryoken

haha, do it man.. Just go out and dork on a tennis court or something.. Get your legs back under ya so to speak...

I'm currently skating one of these....

[​IMG]

But my new cue will be to have the boys at Factory 13 make me up a replica of one of my fave shapes ever...

[​IMG]

19. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

im runnin 3 right now, the black label duane peters deck has 82mm cherry bomb luge wheels, and thats set up for cruisin, i usually keep it the back of the truck for nights that im not capable of driving home. the santa cruz rob roskopp is running softies right now but ive got a set of powell bones that i run on it when i got to the local park. and the sector 9 is for bombin hills.:D ive got 3 other various decks in my closet and a storage box of old parts.

skateboard 1.jpg

skateboard 2  .jpg

20. ryoken

wow, Novato huh? You guys have a nice park up there...

Nice quiver... I have a Roskopp... I can't skate that damn thing, never could.. I mean, I can, and I dig the shape, it just feels wierd to me.. Not sure what it is, maybe the mellow concave or something..

It's the orange one on the left..

[​IMG]

Here's a few more that I have....

[​IMG]

I have about 20 right now... And about a dozen smashed ones in the attic.. :doah: :haha:

How old are you?