Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 5 speed standard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm looking at different possiblities for overdrive for my 77 Chevy stepper. It has a TH350 right now, which is in great shape, and works fine, but I'm wanting to get overdrive to get better milage outta the truck :)

I've got a few options -- First is swapping a 700r4 in. Its a direct bolt in swap, but I haven't had very good luck with 700r4s in the past, and would rather avoid one if I had the option.

Next option is an NV3500 from an S-10 blazer. Its a 5 speed standard transmission. Has far better gear ratios than a typical fullsize transmissions, and the overdrive to boot.

My concern with this option is it's durablity. Will it hold up in a 3800 - 4000 lb shortbed stepside truck with a stock carbed 350 in it?

I've converted another truck to manual before, so I know what is involved with the swap as far as the hydro clutch, pedals, floor hump, driveshaft etc is concerned, and I'm not too turned off by the idea at all.

Any opinions? I wouldn't do the swap till spring, as I need a good reliable truck to drive this winter yet, but then that would put the 700r4 I've got into the 89, and will improve its selling value next summer...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive seen the nv3500 in fullsize trucks before, usually with a 305 or 4.3L tbi. it should hold up to a stock carbed 350.

one thing to watch out for, the s10 adapters used a 5 bolt pattern on the tcase. the adapters are hard to find from a fullsize. there are also little differences between fullsize nv3500 and s10 3500, i know the gear ratios are alittle different. also the tranny mount is different on 2wd versions of it.

3. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

IT ALSO KINDA DEPENDS ON WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO BE DOING? WHY NOT THE SM465 EVERYBODY LOVE THEM!!! THEY CAN STILL BE PAVEMENT CRUSIERS ... I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF PUTTING ANY MINI TRUCK PARTS ON A FULLSIZE, BUT THATS JUST ME. GOOD LUCK

sorry about all caps i just noticed

4. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

you could swap in a 4L80:D

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Biggest thought process here is how I can get over-drive at the lowest price :) Its all going into a 2wd shortbox stepside truck I've got -- She won't see any towing, or offroading (well, maybe I'll hit a mud pit or two just for the fun of it, but you know what I mean)

I am not very tough on my vehicles. I like to accelerate quick, but I don't regularly do burnouts or stuff like that on dry pavement.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

quick acceleration, and not "regularly" doing burnouts on dry pavement, coupled with the occasional mud pit...

put a 700R4 in it, you'll kill a 3500 easily.