Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 Blazer....HELP!!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by stump, Aug 31, 2001.

1. stump

stump Registered Member

Hi guys! Newbie here, with a BIG problem! Here's my problem(s):

A few weeks ago my 1991 S-10 Blazer (TBI) started going crazy. It started idleling (spelling?) rough, and when I get up to 50-60 mph, the truck begins shaking and looses power, particularly when I punch the accelerator. At first I thought the tranny was slipping, etc. But, here's the confusing part. When sitting still and the motor running, if I turn on the headlights, domelight, etc., the motor acts like it's going to stall. (but never does) And just today, I put the CD, amp, and subs back in. When I am going down the road and turn on the stereo, my Blazer again starts running rough and will sometimes stall. And the louder I turn the stereo up, the rougher the motor runs. Furthermore, I can hear a strange noise in my stereo speakers that wasn't there before. The noise seems to be harmonic with the motor. Oh yeah, and the CB all of a sudden doesn't work near as well as it used to.

Whats going on here?? At first I though it was just the transmission about to grenade, but all this electrical stuff has me sitting here scratching my head. I tried searching through the troubleshooting section of my Haynes and Chilton books, but they left me more confused because they had too many possible problems/solutions. Do y'all think all these problems are linked? (they started about the same time) I was thinking it may be a bad computer, bad alternator, etc... Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Aaron

BTW, the reason I suggested it may be a bad computer, is because about a month ago, I accidently started my Blazer with the ALDL jumper still hooked up and the computer still in diagnostic mode!! OOOPS!! :-( Could that be the problem?

Austin, Texas
    1991 S10 Blazer, 6 in. suspension, 3 in. body lift, mt's.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'd check the vacuum lines to make sure they are good, not cracked and plugged in

90K5

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Check all ground connections. Clean and replace if needed. Make sure the motor is grounded to the frame and the body is grounded to the motor/frame. This sounds more electrical IMO, but check the things others have mentioned as these also would effect drivability

JH

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy K20 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 w/8.1L & Allison Auto

4. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

i don't know if this helps, but i had teh alt go out on me in my 92 camaro while driving and it imediatly lost power to the point of almost dying. quick test for that is got to walmart and get a multimeter. set it to like 20 dc and hook it to the battery. with the truck off the bat should read about 12.7 or so with the truck running it should be around 14 or so at idle if the alt is good. just a thought.

Doin' it all on a college budget

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like you have a battery or an alternator going out on you... I know on my daytona i had that when the battery went out on me (no warning either) The car started doing the same thing as yours.. jerking, gauges inside going nuts, Loss of power, etc... Then after i replaced the battery the alternator ended up going out a week later... replaced both and problem went away.... If you can take your alternator off and take it to the local autoparts store so they can test it and do the same with the battery.. or just get the multi-meter from the earlier post and check it yourself...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

6. stump

stump Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately I am a dumbass. I replaced vacuum hoses, alternator, belts, battery, etc. and still couldn't figure it out. I was going to check the grounds BUT I couldn't find them so I sent it in to the auto-shop. Well guess what, it WAS the grounds![​IMG] They tightened them up and now it works! Yehaw!

And while it was in front of the auto shop, some punks broke out both back door windows![​IMG] But I get the last laugh, everything of value (KC lights, cd player, amp, subs, etc.) was taken out before I dropped my truck off.[​IMG]

Austin, Texas
    1991 S10 Blazer, 6 in. suspension, 3 in. body lift, mt's.