Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

s-10 blazer with fullsize k5 axles underit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Aug 18, 2002.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

any one every seen or built something like this, it is a 80s style s-10 blazer and my buddy wants to put my old 1/2 ton axles under it, it has the ifs up front. thanks chris

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

This may be a bit more extreme than what your looking for but... look here.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

ive seen one in 4 wheeler mag.will need mods to the axle.im not sure how wide the springs arte so you will probably have to move the perches and shock mounts to fit it.i think the transfer case will have to be moved also to line up the front driveshaft with the front diff.i think the ifs is in the middle of the front and the d44 diff is offset to the left by a foot or so.its a doable project and will be an awesome end product once it is finished.hope this helped.

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I have seen some in mags, we took some measurements and i thought about notching out the front frame rail so i can put in like 4x4 piece of steel with the spring mounts on the end and then make something for the rear front, i have some ideas but just wanted to know if other people have done it and what could be a potential problem. thanks

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

check out GULFCOAST4x4 they have a guy on there with a s-10 with fullsize axles. Its called ELMO. Sweet truck I have seen it in action. Most people just swap a s-series body on a fullsize frame rather than fullsize under an s-series frame just because of the strength and avalibility of fullsize parts versus s-series

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I put FS axles under a CJ yrs ago and what we did was use 4x4 box tube to widen the frame and drop down the hangers in the front to the correct width for the front springs. In the rear we moved the spring perches in to meet the factory springs. The case is on the wrong side of an S10 so youll have to do something about that.

Big thing to remember is that the height of the spring hangers will affect caster angle so make sure you get that correct. Just going (for example) 4in below the rails may not work. You may need different amounts front and rear to get the springs eyes at the correct height so the caster is correct. Too low in the rear and youll have too much caster. Too low in the front and you wont have enough.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Two guys in our club are running fullsize frames and drivetrain with S-10 Blazer bodies on them which almost seems the better way to go. There is also another guy with a Dodge Dakota with fullsize Dana 60's front and rear also.

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

there's a guy here at the local salvage yard that's built an s-10 Blazer, regular cab short bed S-10, and an extended cab s-10, and put all of them on fullsize chassis'. all run and look like crap, but two are sitting on 35's with no lift and one's on 44's with a little bit of lift.

9. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea prbably a little extrem, the reason we are going with the s-10 frame is he dont have the cash for a blazer frame. plus he aready has a 350 in it and he has a transfer case out of a 80s chevy.

10. BowtieBlazer

so is the t-case a passengerside output for the front? If you are still having troubles...hate to say it but a ford D44 might be your best bet for the $ and functionality. Hey afterall its what works not who makes it. If I remember right ELMO has all DANA Axles under it as he says...considering it still has the s-series t-case you figure what front axle he has....
    two pics to do ELMO some justice...this day he was on 44's he normally runs 39.5's?

[​IMG]
    Notice thats 44's!!!!
    [​IMG]

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

its a 80s k5 (donor truck) chevy tcase with the pass side front out put, also a dana 44 is a dana 44, if its out of a ford dana made it for them same thign with a chevy, people try to tell my brother [censored] about a ford d60 (94 chevy straight axle ford d60 up front) they say oh i see your getting smarter running a ford front end!! i tell him no its a dana 60 ford didnt make it!! lol

12. BowtieBlazer

Exactly... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Its DANA MADE AXLES!!! hehe