Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 conversion stuff?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Thumper, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I am contemplating a project... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Which would be a better/ stronger/ cheaper way to go?
    1. Start with the 89 S-15 extended cab/ frame/ box and swap my suspension/ 454/ sm465/ np205/ D44/ 14FF onto that frame? Whats involved in mounting a solid front axle under the S-15 chassis?

2. Start with my K5 frame/ susp/ driveline, roll my body off and swap on the S-15 cab onto my frame? Ive heard that the S truck frames are stronger, but what about that drop down area below the seating compartment? Is that an issue>

Ive got either option right now, with a free ext cab S-15 minus engine and tranny.
    Thanks for any input!
    Mike

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Im going to have the S10 Extended Cab mounted on my SWB 4x4 Frame in the next few weeks hopefully. I didn't have the S10 frame at all. I thought it would be easier to mount the S10 cab on my frame rather than going the other way. Lets see other peoples input on this subject. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A friend recently bought a slightly wrecked 90-something S-10 to use as a DD. The frame was parallelogramed. He attached the rear of one rail to a palm tree and the front of the other to his 12k winch on a doubling pulley. Had no trouble going slightly too far.
    I'd use the K frame.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I really like how my brothers S10 Extended cab on a Sub frame turned out. The Sub frame is easy to work with- straight, parellel frame rails that don't rise up over the rear a lot like the pickup frames do. He relocated the rear axle to about 118", and cut off the back of the frame. We both extended the front clip to give the V8's more room, but you can do it with a stock front clip. You really have to cut up the front fenders for tire clearance, though. This truck works real well and wouldn't take much to be more street legal.

These are the only digital pics I have saved. I know from the other thread you don't like exo cages, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of the body mounts he made from 4"x4" box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, that thing is like Matt's orange Ford. Climbs like a billy goat if you can keep it from high-centering and make the turns for the line... Sweet rig. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Kicked my butt on the fall that killed my truggy…

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad. I didn't even bother trying that waterfall. I am getting used to being shown up by my 16 year old neice. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A friend recently bought a slightly wrecked 90-something S-10 to use as a DD. The frame was parallelogramed. He attached the rear of one rail to a palm tree and the front of the other to his 12k winch on a doubling pulley. Had no trouble going slightly too far
    I'd use the K frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is basically the same way body shops straighten all frames, although a little more sophisticated. I'm sure you would get the same results if you tried the same techniques on a K-frame, or anything other than a full on tube chasis for that matter.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

True, that is how frames get straightened. My point was that it was REAL easy to straighten, which tells me it's real easy to wad up too.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

We have several "hybrids" in our club. If you just wanted the fullsize axles than starting with the S-10 frame sounds like the way to go. However, when you start talking about an entire drivetrain, including a 454, than a body swap sounds easier. A 350 is a tight squeeze under the hood of an S-10, but a 454 is a lot harder withoug extending the front clip....one guy has an S-10 Blazer on an early K5 frame and spent a lot of time making a 350 fit, the other guy has the S-Blazer on a "used to be" LWB frame and finally extened the front fenders and hood for clearance with the 454. The axle swap I mentioned was on a 1st gen Dakota......but besides for the axles and suspension it already had a fullsize truck equivalent drivetrain stock (V-8 and same trans and t-case used in a fullsize Dodge).

I have heard the comments about the S-10 frame being stronger, but then again I haven't heard anybody having problems with the fullsize frames with the exception of the steering box mounts, which is easy to correct.

11. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I would say use the S-10 frame and do the SAS. S-10s with solid axles are badass and seems to hold their own on the trails. Solid Axle Swap Theres all you need to know about the swap. http://www.s104x4.com/ Theres a guy on that site with a yellow S-10 with 454 and 44s. Hope that helps.

Later

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how much wider is a k5 blazer body compared to a s-10 blazer body?

13. Mudzer

Heres a pic of my progress. Still much to do.

[​IMG]

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how much wider is a k5 blazer body compared to a s-10 blazer body?

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone know? how much of a difference?

15. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, the 'rough' measurements I took are like this:
    S-10 body width at front quarters- 65"
    K5 body width at front quarters- 80"
    So, 15" total narrower, equals 7.5" per side. The outside of my fender on the front is like 1/2" from covering my 13-38-16" TSLs... so I will have 7.5" of TSL sticking out past the fenders... near as I can guestimate!

Works for me... hehe.

Mike

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Very cool Mudzer! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Did you keep the firewall at the same location as the truck cab? Thats my plan, and I will clearance the firewall as reqd. If I can keep the S-10 cab as far forward as I can, I think the K5 frame will just let the rear tires clear... hopefully. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Do you have a decent side shot... like directly from the side? That would be cool.
    Later!
    Mike

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, one more question.
    How much longer is the body on a k5 compared to a s-10 blazer?
    Thznks!

18. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    Very cool Mudzer! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Did you keep the firewall at the same location as the truck cab? Thats my plan, and I will clearance the firewall as reqd. If I can keep the S-10 cab as far forward as I can, I think the K5 frame will just let the rear tires clear... hopefully. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Do you have a decent side shot... like directly from the side? That would be cool.
    Later!
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

I let the cab set back a little. I am not planning to use the factory radiator support or grille for my project. I will use the '89 headlights I have from my K5 and arrange them just below the hood. The front fenders will be trimmed up to the hood in the front with a large arc. Likewise in the rear, there will be a large arc for the wheel opening and the rear fenders will taper inward.

I will get a side shot and post it up this evening.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    okay, one more question.
    Thznks!

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    okay, one more question.
    Thznks!

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they look a bit shorter... anyone know /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif