Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 S10 2wd that I'm going to start playing with. I wanted to know if anyone has any idea about a 4cly diesel that would fit in an S10?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Isuzu has a nice little 4 cly the 4JB1 that would be perfect. It's used mostly in industrial applications. It's very compact and no bigger than most other gas 4 cly engines.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Do some research, S10's used to be option with something like a 1.9 Isuzu diesel in the 80's.

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I don't think they were all that common even when new. One of my ex-girlfriends had one with like 400k miles on it (and that was the only one I've ever seen), it had been wrecked a couple of times by her brother and sister. Not to mention I live in the rust belt, so needless to say that truck was pretty damn ugly. But it was reliable!

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Those little Isuzu diesel motors were outstanding !
    If you are going to "wheel" this S-10 you are building than gear the hell out of it and think of the motor like a light switch - it's either on or off , not much variance in power at different RPM's but it will run for a mighty long time and outlast the truck when it falls apart.

Tom

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

cummins 4b or 4bt. bout the same size as the V6's found in an S-10. might need to upgrade to 4x4 front coils or even find some aftermarket lift coils.

they are found in bread trucks and normaly have an SM420 or 465 behind them. from there almost any 90* transmission will fit behind them. might have to find a flex plate and have some machine work done if you want an auto.

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Toyota 4 cyl diesel from the mid 80's had a mechanical injector pump so NO ELECTRONICS... Very Simple.

And the Nissan Diesel from the same era is also a work horse of a motor.

You can probably find a whole Nissan or Toyota on Ebay for under $1K if you do some searching.

Post pics if you do it.

Good Luck

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Early 80s luv pickups had an Isuzu Diesel in them. I had an 81 with a 5 speed and it would run all day long. It had 250K on it when my dad sold it and only had the oil changed and fuel filter changed. Top speed was about 65 on the floor in 4th. If you put it in 5th it would slow down:haha: . It also got about 25 MPG:D

Ira

10. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies so far. I guess I should have told you why I want a diesel. I'm going to try making extra $ mowing lawns and such this summer (gotta feed my K5 addiction). I also have a 91 1500 2wd LB that also needs a new engine, maybe that would be easier to transplant? My goal is MPG and good torque.

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Tried installing a 6.2 into an '85 2wd S-blazer that had a 2.8L V-6 once. Had a few clearance issues that I didn't fell like dealing with so dropped a SBC into it and sold it. Finding a factory Diesel S-10 would be cool and installing a small turbo on it should make it run acceptable.

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

My friend got a 80s s-10 pickup at an auction close by, and someone had swapped an Olds LF7 4.3L diesel in there. Runs pretty well. I can get some pics and more specs if you want.

Heres the wikipedia story on the engine:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_V6_engine

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Eye Soo Zoo...

We had a mid 80's Chevette "Scooter" for a delivery vehicle at one of the parts stores I worked at..it had the Isuzu diesel motor ..cant recall if it was automatic or a five speed,I only drove it about 3 times,as I was a counterman 99% of the time..it had 250K on it,and it was highly prized by my bosses father,he drove it all the time,even took it home and used it instead of his own car!..it got over 30 mpg,and I don't recall it ever having anything go wrong..might be the same motor the Isuzu trucks and S-10's used later on..

It got T boned at a bad intersection though...they still got 800 bucks for it after buying it back from the insurance company..a local cranberry grower bought it for the motor,to use on a bog pump!..many VW diesels are pumping water in and out of cranberry bogs here too..one guy I know has an old scout with a six cylinder Nissan diesel pumping his bog water..

Though a 4.3 Olds diesel would bolt into an S10,I don't think its a worthwhile effort..those motors are the little brother of the ill fated Olds 350 Diesel..by like transplanting a time bomb into it!..I's go for the Isuzu or a 4BT Cummins from a bread truck..
    I saw one getting sold from a Grumman "P" series with a TH400 attached for 1000 bucks a month ago,at a local junkyard..the guy who bought it scrapped
    the aluminum body,got 500 bucks for it!..then hauled the rolling chassis,complete with brand new springs,michelin 19.5" tires,and a dually rear to Maine,where he plans to swap it into a GM crewcab.

It would be a lot easier to just buy an ols Nissan or Toyota or Isuzu diesel truck in your case though..good luck finding a cheap diesel now,the prices skyrocketed since gas prices went up around here...:crazy:

.:crazy:

14. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

jeep cherokees had a diesel option in the 80's. My old AMC cherokee had the chevy 2.8 v- in it. The diesel should have a similar mount setup.

15. Bigg R

Bigg R Registered Member

S10's and blazers in South America came factory with a 2.8l diesel in them! Locate one of those!!!!!

Bigg R

16. gauder

gauder Banned

Yup, South Americans could get the Isuzu diesel in them. I understand it was quite popular. Maybe look and see if you can find a repair manual for the South American versions and you'd be able to find out all the parts needed.