Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 Fuel Tank question.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So my dad is feeling guilty about selling me his 1991 S-10 4WD truck with leaky gas tank, but the local mechanic is quoting him $500 to replace the tank, sender and fuel pump.

My first reaction was "Hey that guys trying to screw you" but then I wondered if there's any weird thing with the S10 where the pump and senders are not removeable or serviceable seperately??? Anyone dealt with this before? The tanks I've seen, you just unbolt the ring on top....gently remove the guts (sender & pump) and then drop them into the replacement tank......right?

My next question will be about the availablity of a poly tank vs. steel.

My third question will then be to go post up in the "Parts Wanted" section :D

I bought the whole truck for only $1000, and don't want my dad getting screwed over paying for a bunch of expensive repairs, especially if it can be repaired as easily as I think it can.

:deal:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

there is nothinig special about the s-10 tanks with the sending unit or fuel pump at all. The only reason that i can think that he wants to replace every thing is because the sending unit might be rusted to the tank and not very easy to get off.

I belive JC whitney carries a poly tank for the S-10

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if hes replacing all 3, parts and labor that sounds pretty fair to me, hes probably going to replace them cause he thinks they are contaminated. Which if the tank rusted out, is pretty likely. :dunno: I'd do a fuel filter at the same time(you might as well do that).

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i replaced the fuel tank, sender and pump with straps in my 92 s10 for about 250$

i actually have a decent tank, sender and pump out of my91 s10 i could get rid of

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

about correct price. most of them when you remove them the lines on the sender twist off from rust. and look at jc whitny for poly tanks. but the time it takes for the new steel one to rust out the truck will mostlikly be gone.