Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 2BIG, Oct 2, 2001.

1. 2BIG

2BIG Registered Member

I have tried to figure out what seems loose in the front of my 84' S-10 pick-up and I think I finally found it. The front diff. has alot of up and down and in and out play. By the front diff. I mean the round "hub" that the cv half shaft bolts into with about 8 bolts. Am I right in thinking that there should be some in and out play to allow for the wheel to travel up and down. The front axle has the pumpkin set off to one side with an axle shaft connecting it to the cv shaft on one side and it seems to come right out of the pumpkin on the other side. That is the one that is really loose. Is there a bearing in this hub or does the whole axle have to be replaced as a unit.Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

UM??????
    That doesn't sound right at all. First definestions, so we're on the same page: - The shaft with the 2 C/V joints is called the "falf shaft" - The part that is in the front diff, canected w/6 or 8 bolts is called the "Stub-Shaft". This part (Stub-shaft) is retained by a ring-clip on the splines and rides and needle bearings inside the front diff. There should be -almost- no play between the stub shaft and the needle bearings.

A "clunk" from the front of a IFS truck over bumps is most likely ball-joints. I'd say, 60% of the time it's ball joints. To check. Jack the LF/RF up, place the jack under the control arm, as closse as possible to the ball-joint, then grab the wheel from the top and botom and push/pull the tire. If there is play, then the ball-joints are probably bad. Have someone watch the ball-joints vs. contol arm- If they can see some play, than the ball joints are bad. Also, if you can "feel" the play, than that would also indicate ball joint wear.

Some times the sealed hubs can have play in them also, but they usualy will have a constant "wrrrrrr" noise that will get louder when loaded (turning L. or R. depending on wich one is bad.

Loose shock mounts can also have a "bad ball-joint" type of sound.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

3. 2BIG

2BIG Registered Member

All new front end components including ball joints, tie-rod ,hub bearings, rotors, calipers, all bushings. I keep a constant watch on my cv joint boots and that is how I noticed the play. There is no clunk at all and no play anywhere but those inner hubs that are part of the axle. They actually move in any direction. I was hoping that I don't have to swap out the front end but it sounds like I might have to. I own 6 s-10 blazers and have never seen this happen either. Must not be a very common problem,or maybe it is just pick-up related.Thanks anyhow.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that is odd. I don't know what to tell you now.

Good luck with it.

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.s10forum.com>www.s10forum.com</a>

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

6. 2BIG

2BIG Registered Member

Thanks I will have to do that. So many forums but NONE like this one.