Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

s-10 t-5 help and Rear Main Seal question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 6, 2003.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

anyone ever tear into a t-5? i blew the tranny in my dd, and the only one i could find had a mechanical speedo and mine is electronic. im want to take the tailshafts off each and swap out the speedo gear for the sensor. is anything going to fall out or should i be good.

How do i know if the rear main seal is bad without taking the clutch off. the entire motor and trany is covered with oil, so is inside the belhousing.

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

can't answer your second question but I"d say your probably right or you have a cracked block or something, as my guess, but the t5 isn't too bad to work on from what I saw on mine when they tore into it, you shouldn't have any problems with the tailshaft, other than just fluid. btw it's cheaper to replace with a junkyard tranny than to rebuild if it comes to that.

3. big83chevy4x4

I did get a tranny out of a junkyard. the tranny that i blew is going to need almost everything, it was like half way engaged and grinding them just locked up. luckly i was just 2 blocks from my house.

Im thinking about just getting a new motor for it because it is preaty tired and it blows a lot of oil (about 2 quarts every 200 miles) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

what year is it?

5. big83chevy4x4