Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 to V8 conversion on Trucks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cmoe, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Someone was saying that they wanted to convert their S-10 2wd to a S-10 V8 2wd... Well their doing it on trucks today.... And they saying that their going to customize it for under $10k....

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

customize it for under $10K? jesus, that's a hard mark to hit. :rolleyes:

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I thought the same thing, but lets see what they do and if they get any freebees.. If that includes the motor , trany work, driveshaft, and body and paint that isn't that much....

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ill have to watch it tomorrow.

i finished a 350 in a 4x4 s10 back in january and did it all for less than $1500, including refreshing the motor.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if they're getting "freebies" with a $10K budget, this thing better be MPFI, run in the 10s, and have VERY nice street manners. i have worked on a couple trucks, sub-$5K, that ran well in the low 11s, and were perfectly streetable. modding an S10 into a fast street truck isnt hard at all.

6. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I saw the episode today. The first thing they did was remove the bed, I thought cool they're gonna bag it. lol nope... lowering springs and blocks.... as they talk crap about 'dropping the thing till it scrapes the street'... :rolleyes:

I guess I just dont get the notion of turning a mini pick-up into some sort of drag racer. Believe me Im not against the V8 conversion (considering it for my s10 blazer, prolly do a vortec 6cyl tho), but I really dont get anyone trying to make a seriously fast vehicle out of it. Its a pick-up, traction will be a nightmare. A guy I knew in florida had a mild V8 in his s10 pick-up, ran very wide M/T semi-slicks, and his ass end still went where ever it wanted when he even breathed on the accelerator.

IMO a small V8 would be perfect, a 327 or even a 283. Better yet, save the gas mileage (albeit not alot) and drop a stout vortec 4.3 in it. My 93 s10 blazer had the vortec 4.3 and it would smoke the front and rear tires on command. I just don't see alot more necessity than that I guess. If you want to build a street bruiser, build something with some weight/traction in the back.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I used to have (was stolen, no trace) a 70's regular cab Datsun that had a 327, 350 horsepower Cheby V-8 in it and I never had a single traction problem unless I threw it sideways and jumped on it. Had traction bars, of course, and a narrowed Chevy rear end.

The second fastest vehicle I've ever had the pleasure to drive.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Me and a friend just did it for under $1000

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my sister's boyfriend has a 94 S10 longbed, with a mild 355 in it. hooks pretty decent. he's got slapper bars on it, and a set of sticky tires. we're going to swap the frame for a shorter wheelbase, and add a set of CalTracs to it ( www.calvertracing.com ), it should hook like a psycho.

the key to getting it to hook up is lightening the front end really. move the fuel tank into the bed, and as far back as you can. move the battery to the passenger side of the bed, all the way against the tailgate. and then ditch everything unnecessary under the hood.

i've considered building one, with a stock 350/700R4, and going nuts on the chassis setup, just to see how fast i can get it down to with just a wheezer 350.

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Ours was a junk 4 banger S-10... picked it up for $250.

Pulled a running 350 out of a junk Vandura. Slapped a 70's TH350 with a shift kit behind it. Grabbed some motor mounts from a V-6 S-10 in the yard, non-AC heater box, some bracketry, cam swap, edelbrock performer intake, holley carb, fancy ignition control thing, aluminum radiator and seperate tranny cooler, old funky ratchet shifter we found.

All-in-all its right around $1,000 right now. Had a lot of those TV-type "Hey, we got this cam, intake, and carb layin right here... oh look, there's a shift kit!"

11. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Well I missed it today but it sure sounds like a lot of deja-vu. If I recall correctly Stacey and his original partner did the same exact thing in the first or second season of Trucks. YYYYAAAAAAWWWWNNNNN....I'm still holding out for Stacey's new show.