Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-10 with a 6.5l?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by four_by_ken, Oct 7, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, 350s go into s-10s all day long... even big blocks... why not 6.5l diesel?

Weight differances can be compensated for.

That would be a nice high mpg vehicle.... and I abot done with the Blazer... so a new project just needs to be started.

Ken H.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would go for it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    You will need to compensate for the extra weight with heavier springs.
    Are you going with a 2wd or 4wd?
    If 4wd are you staying with the IFS or a straight axle conversion?
    If you don't want to change in the suspension much, I found some helper coil springs that go on the body of the shock. They work great to offset a heavy load like this.
    Let us know if you go with that project and how it works out.
    IceMan

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That would be sweet man. Tell us when its done!!

4. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

hey ken

project sounds sweet to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

... just curious but i could have sworn you were anti-GM diesel? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif did you have a change of mind?

5. four_by_ken

Project wont start until next summer at the soonest. I still have some finishing touches on the Blazer, and we are moving to a new house. Closing is this Friday. Going to have 10 acres now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldnt call myself anti-GM diesel. More pro-Cummins. I just think they are far surperior than the GM 6.2 and 6.5 motors. Which I dont want to get into that debate again. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I just think GM could have has a much better diesel out all this time.

My choices for the diesel in an S-10 are either the 6.5l turbo diesel or the Cummins 4bt. I will probably go with the 6.5l, simply because it would be a cinch to put in compared to the 4bt. And would have more power also. A Cummins 6bt is just way to much for the tiny s-10 to handle. Heck the 6.5l is too much.

But hey... I have a 454 and 44s on my Blazer and most people tell me that is too much.

I like to go overboard. Whats the fun if it isnt too much!!!!

Need to start looking for a running 6.5l turbo to put in.

Hmmm... dont let this get out to wife quite yet. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ken H.

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

A 350 barely fits into an S-10 frame, so I think a 6.5L won't fit without major modifications to the chassis. The 350's have problems with the exhaust manifolds or headers clearing the frames and steering components. The 6.5L is slightly wider and longer than a 350, and I doubt that there's any room at all for a turbocharger. But I think it would be really cool!

It actually would probably be easier to swap in the 4 cylinder diesel! A lot more room to work with.

I bet a properly geared n/a 6.5L in an S-10 could get near 30 mpg!

Casey.

7. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

Actually thats kind of funny that you said a Cummins 4bt, because thats what i would have picked and i have actually thought of doing myself.

You can pick up a 4bt with a TH400 or a SM465 for $1000-2000 out of certain older Chevy P-series. Then bomb that engine up to around 500 lb-ft torque with 1-ton axles in a S-10 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif now that would be fun!

8. four_by_ken

I disagree somewhat here. A 350 is not difficult to fit in an S-10. It is one of the easier motor swaps out there to do. Even to a 454 is not all that difficult.

And I dont see a 6.2l being larger than a 454. I didnt think about the exhaust problems with a turbo 6.5l. That is something I will have to look into.

Putting a 454 in my CJ7 was a much tighter fit than an S-10 would be, but even that was not that bad.

Ken H.

9. four_by_ken

If I had to decide right now to do this... it would be a 6.2l.

But, I really am a Cummins fan and would love the 4bt.

Guess I have more research to do. Luckily I have a little time before I start on this.

Ken H.

10. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Sorry, didn't mean that a 6.2L/6.5L was larger than a 454. The diesels come in between the small and big-blocks. They're larger than a small-block, and smaller than a big-block.

Casey

11. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

It's my understanding that one of the big problems with an S10 V8 swap is that there isn't much room for a larger radiator and one is required with a 350 swap.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I disagree somewhat here. A 350 is not difficult to fit in an S-10. It is one of the easier motor swaps out there to do. Even to a 454 is not all that difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you actually done this swap? How much chopping do you want to do, and how many factory accessories from the S10 do you want to keep? How will you clear the steering? How will the turbo fit? Will the oil pan clear the crossmember? JTR sells a book on swapping V8s into S10s, if you are serious you should check this book out. Even an "easy" motor swap is a pain in the ass.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Putting a 454 in my CJ7 was a much tighter fit than an S-10 would be, but even that was not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
    A big block jeep is a standard conversion, easy to find information.

Personally, in my opinion, just my opinion here, I would not do this swap. You will not be building anything fast, and trust me, making an S10 (or any truck) fast is a waste of time because it will still handle like a pig (I used to have a VERY fast S15). You will not be upgrading the towing capacities of the truck, you will still be limited by its small suspension and brakes. You will be doing a lot of work for something thats sole superior quality will be it's uniqueness.

Put the 6.5L in your jeep.

12. four_by_ken

As far as cooling goes... there is a lot less room in a Jeep for a big radiator than in an S-10. If we can cool a 502 big block then I think we can cool a 6.2l.

Have I personally done the 350 in an S-10, no. But, I did a BBC in a Jeep. But, there are quite a few guys in my club that have. S15 Jimmy with a 350. S-10 with a 383. S10 with a 502. S10 Blazer with a 383. So, there is a lot of experience here with it.

Steering is not a problem with the swap. If there is oil pan clearance problems... new crossmember, no big deal there.

Turbo could be a problem, totally forgot about that. Might have to go with a 6.2 at the worst case.

A kit for motor swaps. No thanks. Too much money. Maybe for some adapters if necessary, but that is it. But with this swap I would be taking the motor and trans from the donar vehicle, so no adapter necessary.

SBC into an S-10 is about the easiest swap there is.

And I am talking about putting a diesel in this... so fast is not what I am looking for. From my first post it is for mileage, nothing more. Not performance anything. And the uniqueness, yeah that is a huge part of it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thats me.

Thanks of the points though.... anyone else have some things I need to think about?

Could use a junk block that I can use to make up engine mounts and where to put them in the frame... anyone?

Ken H.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Ever seen a 6.5L turbo in a Savana/Express? The turbo is on the back of the engine just behind the intake manifold. The exhaust manifolds run tight to the block, and kick up towards the turbo. Should have minimal frame clearance issues. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I think an S10 needs some way better braking power though. They only became adequate in '98 with twin piston calipers and rear discs.

14. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I tried this, once.
    Had a '85 S-10 blazer 2wd. Bought the V-8 mounts to install a small block. Truck had P/S, P/B and A/C. While waiting to install the small block I looked at the 6.2 sitting on the engine stand and said, Hmmmm.

Loong story short, it's too wide!

Pulled the brake booster, RH manifold and unhooked the steering intermediate shaft and it still would not make it to the frame. Interference with the a/c housing and steering. Said the heck with it and dropped the 350 in it and sold it.

Then I eyed up the 6.2 and the '84 Z-28......definetly not on my time!

Now if the blazer had manual steering and no a/c it may have been closer. I still thing surgery would have been required. Look how close the manifolds of the diesel are to the frame rails of the trucks, with out measuring I will say the diesel is wider than the big blocks.

I was thinking along the lines of a 6.2 in a fiero?
    Or 4 cyl diesel in a fiero from either a chevette or s-10, add a small turbo and it should make decent power and mpg. Then again, maybe I'll just buy me a M35A2 6X6! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Ken go find ya a 4.3L diesel out of an early 80's Olds Cutlass. If your S-10 already has the 4.3L gas motor then everything will bolt right up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On the 5.7l diesel (and the 4.3L diesel) - isn't the bolt pattern on the bellhousing the BOP style?? I.E it doesn't mate to chevy V8 (90 deg V) stuff?

17. four_by_ken

I am coming back to this again. But, I have gone towards the 4bt now. Very nice 'little' motor, and can be had fairly cheap including the trans, usually a 400.
    And, most of the 6bt upgrades, and tuning tricks can be doen to the 4bt also.
    Need to figure out what rear end to use though. So that I can get a good gear ratio to put me right in the sweet spot when running 60 mph.
    I need more time!!! And I would get going on this sooner.

Ken H.

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am coming back to this again. But, I have gone towards the 4bt now. Very nice 'little' motor, and can be had fairly cheap including the trans, usually a 400.
    And, most of the 6bt upgrades, and tuning tricks can be doen to the 4bt also.
    Need to figure out what rear end to use though. So that I can get a good gear ratio to put me right in the sweet spot when running 60 mph.
    I need more time!!! And I would get going on this sooner.

Ken H.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you are looking for mileage I am assuming DD so it means not to big of tires, then any size axle would do, either the 10bolt that came in the S10 or a bigger 10bolt.
    They have a wide margin of ratios from 2.73 and up

19. four_by_ken

This is strictly a daily driver. 70+ miles a day. I will even stick to a 2wd to make SURE it stays a daily driver and does not turn into another toy.

I just cant stand a plain boring dily driver. And this would be unique and cheaper than a brand new car. Thats just how I am. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I wasnt sure of what ratios... 2.73 should work out good. Get me some 'highway' speeds.

It will be loud and get lots of looks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I know there are MANY other options that would be easier and cheaper and get better mileage. But, would be as 'differant.'

Ken H.

[quote
    Well if you are looking for mileage I am assuming DD so it means not to big of tires, then any size axle would do, either the 10bolt that came in the S10 or a bigger 10bolt.
    They have a wide margin of ratios from 2.73 and up

[/ QUOTE ]

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The easiest rear end upgrade is a 8.5" from a 96-up 2wd, 4.3L, 5-speed truck. Only this config had this rear in the standard track width. ZR2 has it too, but its about 6" wider overall. 3.08 is the stock ratio - probably a good choice for a low-revver like the BT engines. A Ford 9" from a Lincoln Versaille would be the next step. Then maybe a D60FF from a Jeep J20 pickup. And finally a cab &amp; chassis 14FF

I hope a 4BT fits under the hood /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif There's a lot of height above the bellhousing.
    pic

Sure would be a unique project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Always liked the 4BT - just can't get one around here /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif