Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?'s about 8-lug parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 7, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

?\'s about 8-lug parts

I've got a question about an 8-lug conversion before I buy it from this guy. He's got the parts to do it from a '74 3/4 truck with the 44 front. He's got the spindles, hubs, and the backing plates. Will it work on my '87 10 bolt? Also, will my calipers work or will I have to buy new ones? And it needs rotors. Do those come off the hub or do I have to buy a new hub? And he said it's the one's with the big inside bearing? Can someone tell me about it?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: ?\'s about 8-lug parts

<font color="green"> It should work on the 10 bolt, and your calipers should work on it also. You'll need to buy 8 lug rotors though, yours are going to be 6 luggers. A '74 having big bearings is interesting since the big inner bearings on 44s didn't come out until 76. </font color>

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

So does the rotor bolt onto the hub he's selling me or what? I'm kinda lost as to how it works. I know on the 10 bolt you have to buy the hub and rotor as one. And this pic he sent me, there's no rotor on the hub.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't worry about the rotor as the 8 lug rotors will work for ALL the 8 lug bearing hubs.

Just make sure the spindles and bearing hubs match each other. In other words, make sure they are from the same year of donor truck.

As long as the spindle and bearing hub match, you can bolt these two to any axle, except for the D60, and still use any 8 lug rotor in all the years. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

Now you're sure right? Cuz I don't want to and can't afford to drop $200 on something that won't work.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Guess you are gonna have to learn on your own here. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Hey bud Wes is a reliable guy and know's his stuff /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

Ok, if Wes is thatk30guy, then I will trust him. I've seen a lot of posts by him and he seems to know his stuff. Sorry if I was being an a$$hole about it man. But is Shaggy right about the bigger bearings? What do you think I should be asking this guy?

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

As long as the guy had it installed on his truck then I don't see a problem. He could be mistaken on the year or converted it to the larger bearing... i dunno. Like thatk30guy (wes) said as long as everything is from the same truck it should work. Ask the guy about the large bearings if you are unsure of them. I would definately talk to him to find out if he thinks this will work or ask wes (or someone who know's better than me) if you can send him the pic and see what he thinks. I didn't think you were an a$$ I was just stating that my experience around here is that wes knows what he is talking about. Sorry If I came across wrong.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well, I would post the pic on here, but i don't know how. He said it was all from the same axle. But he says it will work, so I think I'm gonna trust him with it. But don't worry about the whole a$$ thing. We're all cool. Thanks

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

1/2 ton and 3/4 ton hubs and spindles used the same size bearings up to the mid 76 year.then went to the bigger bearing on the 3/4 ton axles.like everyone said,as long as all the parts came off the same truck it will all bolt up right.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

well i guess that answers my questions. now i've just gotta scrape up 250 bucks to buy the thing