Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?'s about IFS lift, possible SAS on 99 silverado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, May 25, 2006.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

Hey, I know there's a whole IFS forum for this kinda stuff...but it seems like not too many people usually look there. so, I'm putting this here, in hopes of getting more responses.

I have a 99 Silverado 1500, Z71, NBS, that I wanna lift, and looking to run around 36-37's. This is my DD, and will see mostly highway use, with occasional off-roading...mostly mud, trails, hillclimbs...no rocks or anything like that. does anyone have any experience with these trucks, with lifts of any kind? From what I've heard, and read...it seems like the IFS just won't hold up at all with pretty much anything over a 33" tire, even for street driving. is this true, or does anyone think it would be ok for street driving, and moderate wheeling?

IF I can get by with IFS...who makes the best kits out there for these trucks? and the best price?

And I know that a SAS would be the obvious, not to mention coolest, choice...and that's what I was leaning towards at first. but the more I think about it...that just seems like a really major modification for a DD, especially if it's just not necessary. and another thing is...I have only found one company that even makes a SAS kit for these trucks...fabritech. and their website is pretty, well...useless. it gives very little info about the kit...and nothing at all about pricing. plus, I don't think it's been updated in at least a couple years...so I don't even know if they still make them or not. ORU doesn't list anything for my truck. Anyone know of any other options? is there any way to perhaps make the older body style kit work on mine? I know some of you are gonna say to just fab my own....but I don't have much fab skills, and I'm not sure I'd even know where to begin.

so, anyone have any suggestions? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

what's wrong with the 79 k5 in your sig? take the $5,000 it will cost to make your DD sit on 35's and put it into maintianence of your DD and repair of your trail rig

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i agree, keep the DD small and reliable. i mean your ifs isn't going to explode if you throw 35s on there, but you will wear stuff like steering components much faster. that and lifting ifs trucks is forkin expensive.

build the blaze!

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

X3.. that's why I've resisted the urge to modify my DD dodge 2500. It gets better milage with small tires, and makes a good tow rig. I just had to wait forever till I found a good truck to make into a trail truck.. I think you should just dump the money into your trail truck :wink1:

6. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

ok, you guys make a good point. I know that 5 grand would go a long way on the blazer. and I do wanna keep the DD reliable. I guess I don't really need to get too extreme with it...I just mainly wanna do something to get rid of that...stock look. kinda personalize it a little bit. plus, as we all know...these newer GMs don't exactly sit very high from the factory. they kinda look like...god forbid...2wd's! doesn't have much clearance...especially for being an extended cab. I dunno, maybe I'll just stick with a body lift and some 33's or something, just to keep it simple...even though...body lifts alone, are kinda lame. anyway, thanks for the advice guys.

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

somebody makes a 2" leveling kit for the front end so you don't screw everything up by cranking the torsion bars. Run that, slap some 285's on there and it should give you enough lift on the front end not to look like a 2wd. I have no idea what this cost..... its just a thought if you still have the need to rid it of the stock look

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

incorrect. the " 2" leveling kit " does exactly that, allows you to crank the torsion bars further. if you're really dead set on lifting it, get a good quality 4" lift (i hear Rancho is actually decent for IFS lifts) and throw a set of 33s on it, and call it good. shouldnt screw with your factory gearing too much.

9. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I have seen these leveling kits from ORU, and the website says they allow you to run 33's...supposedly without cranking the torsion bars. I don't know if this is true or not? if it is...that would be good enough for me. I'm running 285's right now...but with the torsion bars cranked...and I'd really like to find a way to put them back where they're supposed to be, and still run decent size tires.