Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?'s about trail ride in NC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 17, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

?\'s about trail ride in NC

Is there going to be a Dixie Run at Tellico this year? If so, who's going? Would my Jimmy w/39.5 TSL's, 14b, 44, 465/205 convert be up to the task? I've only been crawlin once while I was up at App. State (can't wait to go back!). That was with 35's and the stock running gear. What do you think I would need to bring along with me? I've got a Hi-lift, shackles, and a big huge logging chain and about 150' of 1/4" cable. I used to run mud and now I'm screaming rocks, so any tips can help.

2. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Re: ?\'s about trail ride in NC

They started a post already about this. Yes there is a Dixie Run and it is the First weekend in Oct. Hope you can go.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

I want to go. I just don't know if my driving skills are up to it. That and I don't have nerves of steel.

4. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

hey man would get some spare axles before you go /forums/images/icons/frown.gif , because more than likely thats what will break if you don't take a spare set.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

alright. got a spare set laying around for a 14b and a 10 bolt? wow, now that i see that written down, it looks kinda ridiculous. two opposite ends of the axle strength list.

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Do you have lockers, or are you open front and rear. Do you have tow points on your K5 front and rear. Do you have a winch. Need a little more info on your rig to recomend a trail for you.

Depdog

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

I'm gonna have a detroit in the rear or weld the spiders, and possibly a limited slip in the front. got one helluva front bumper with 2 d-rings on it and a receiver hitch. no winch, but i've got a hi-lift. if nothing else, i would go to spectate and get some experience by watching others.

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Its fun as hell just watching sometimes. There is always a roll or two and some spectacular breakage.

You need to check out the Dixie Run info at www.sfwda.com

Depdog

9. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

It can get exciting. Bigjbear has a picture of me with both front tires off the ground going up slick rock before busting a ujoint. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I can't wait to ride with the 60/14.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

Now I've heard that at Tellico you have to pretty much throttle your way up the mountain. I don't think the ol' 10 bolt could handle the stresses of a 39.5.

11. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

If you havent done it yet, hit Uhwarrie and work your way thru the trails there. It will give you a lot more confidence in your driving skills and rig.

Start with Falls Dam, Wolfs Den....then Dickey Bell, then Rocky Mount. (Those are the ones rated easiest, middle and then hardest...)

In the middle of the state it is easy to get to and LOTS of folks riding it. Would make a good trial run.

I just did Falls Dam, Wolfs Den, Sawmill and part of Rocky Mount with my stock 72 Jimmy. I did Dickey Bell as well and have never had any issues, open diffs.

Good luck!
    Sam

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah there are points where it's a throttle BUT not all of the place. A lot of it you can crawl but even crawling can snap an axle. My wifes bone stock 79 has been through a lot of Tellico on 32's. Where it wouldn't go is stuff like Helicopter pad, Gardrail, School bus and Slick rock. All those trails for K5 need bigger tires (although I have done Gardrail on 32's with 4 inches of lift. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Course my truck was hanging on a winch cable and thank god it was because I was up on two wheels and just about went over. Thank god for the speed of the 8274 that was pulling me...anything slower and I was a goner. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    Now Depdog, Yeild, Keith, Boss and BigJBear and I (as a passenger) ran Slick rock last year. Keith as you read poped a U-Joint under throttle. Well Dep blew his in the rock garden on the approch. and he was not under hard throttle. Just had the wheels cranked trying to get over a rock and it was enough stress that he blew it.
    After that everybody just pulled out the cable and nothing else was broken. So the lesson here is what you don't have in hard core drivetrain you can make up for with a winch.
    Dixie run has classes so they can get you on trail rides where your vehicle should be able to handle it without a lot of damage and holding up the trail rids....They have 200 or so registered trucks on the trails so they have to class the trucks to make sure stuff keeps moving. Even so stuff happens. Last year some guys were doing School bus is a fairly well built truck on 38's or so. He ended up camping on the trails Saturday night till enough parts could be collected to get the truck out. The parts included a Tie rod, two tires and a few other parts and yes this truck was on a D60/14. These guys had a bad day of it but all the parts were collected and he and the truck were taken care of the next morning.
    Here are the classes.
    Predator: slightly modified 31's or bigger, Locker or winch, roll bar or hard top. These trucks will probably be on trails 4,5,6,8 upper 2
    Beast: Modified, 35's,roll cage,winch,lockers front and rear and tools and parts. These guys will probably run 9, maybe 11 (gardrail and Hellicopter)
    Monster: SUPER MODIFIED Low gear, Roll cage, winch, Lockers F&R, tools and parts. Lower 2, 11 coming down 12 (School bus).
    My truck is on 35, locked front and rear bottom is heavily armor, Warn front shafts, spare axle shafts. I have no winch so I'll be classed as a Predittor and I have already run everything but School bus, Slick rock and the actuall Helicopter Pad. I got to much truck to go through there so I always take the bypass. Lets put it this way, almost every Jeep looses a rear tail light. A K5 would loose a rear 1/4 LOL.
    I'm not swaeting it because even the trails they will let me on I'll have a good time and I know I will be back for dinner unlike the some of the folks on the other classes are most times. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    If you want to run harder stuff then get there on Thrusday and you can run what every you want on Friday. If watching the rock crawling event is not a big deal the get on the trails while that's going on and you will have light traffic for a while and can get on a hard trail before it get's backed up.
    BTW I think My club is running the ramp this year. I may not be on the trail Saturday so I can help with the Kids rides but I plan to bring my Digital camera and watch the rock crawl and get some good shots for CK5. I hear Keith plans to enter but it's a luck of the draw to get in the event.