Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S*** broken exhaust bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevidog, Jun 30, 2000.

1. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Swapping in a 383 and broke an exhaust manifold bolt in the head (cast iron heads). It is the front bolt on drivers side. Broke off flush with the head. I drilled through the bolt and tried an extracter and busted it inside. Now the extracter is too hard to drill into. Also tried to weld broken bolt to washer and then attach another bolt to remove, but the extracter material is Fu**** up the weld and can't get it to hold. Ruined my day and now my weekend-help- what can I try next? Who may be able to fix it? Will I have to remove the head?

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You can try this ...but be very careful!!!!!
    I had the same thing happen to me and this was suggested and it did work. You are playing with three types of metals and melting points. The extractor being the hardest also has the highest melting point, next comes the head then the bolt. Take a torch and start heating around the bolt hole. as it starts to turn red, start heating the bolt you will find that the bolt will melt around the extractor, if you use a cutting head be real careful when you hit the lever for more O2, you want just enough to "blow" the old bolt material out without cutting the head. Remember the trick here is to make sure the head gets enough heat before you hit the bolt material...good luck

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Shudders..... man that sounds scary!!!!! what if it's a grade 8 bolt? Huh? Huh? I always got to be the dificult one :)
    I had one that I did something simular to on a aluminum head. I ended up drilling around the extractor with a very small bit at an angle into the bolt and got the extractor freed up and pulled it out in chunks till I got the extractor out. I already had figured the threads were hosed so I drilled it out and heli coiled it. Since this is a steel head maybe you can get enough holes in it to do the same without doing in the threads..

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Thanks for the ideas- I sure hope I keep a steady hand! I'll never torque on those damn things like that again. Wish me luck- I havn't had any yet.