Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S.E.C. 4x4 Armor Winch Bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 1, 2001.

It's my understanding these bumpers arrive bare metal (not painted). Any ideas on how/what is the best way to have this done? I'm looking for durability, the last thing I want to be fighting is rust.... Thanks!

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When I can afford to buy those bumpers. They are about 4th on my Blazers to do list. I am going to have them powder coated. I think it is the best way to go..

Become one with nature........Then marinate it..

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

gokartergo
    Your a genius I was going to just paint them with auto paint, but like your idea alot better. I probably would of thought of that after it was to late.

Michael

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

you can do them wiht spray in bed liner

when I get a set I am going to get them line-xed

I love the stuff and I am going to get my wole blazer after I get some money

[​IMG]Go prepared

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I used a quality rattle-can paint (semi-flat) and it turned out great, When I scratch it, I just paint the area in question. I like to play on the rocks so I don't think bed liner would hold up very well to being dragged accross the big stuff. I used to have a Toyota with Smittybilt bumpers that were powder coated and it wore off real fast.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. gokartergo

Steve, Did the powder coat where off? My understanding of powder coating is it can't where off. That it could eventually crack. But only if extremly bent...

Become one with nature..........Then marinate it..

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

It wore off big time, had to rattle can over it.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

8. gokartergo

Thats wierd. I race full cage gokarts. And a bunch of the guys started powder coating there karts. I haven't yet. But there powder coating seems to be holding up pretty good has to where my paint can't. And we do a lot of banging around. So I do like you and break out the spray can every now and then...

Become one with nature.............Then marinatte it..

9. Topher

Topher Registered Member

I emailed them not too long ago and asked about this. He said that they come standard unpainted, but regular painted is at no cost (primer and semi gloss/satin black).

I'm still saving up for one, and since I want it black anyway I think I'll just have them paint it for me.

Chris

10. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Powder coating quality varies quite a bit. I have seen engine parts powder coated that have survived high heat and rough enviroments and still look new. I've also seen car chassis that have had the powder coating rubbed off by fiberglass body panels. A bumper would hold up good to water and mud and the like for rust, but banging off rocks might just be to much for it. I think regular painting is a good option, easy to touch up.
    Craig

[​IMG]

11. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

I bought both the front winch bumper with brush guards and the rear bumper with the swing away spare tire carrier. All came painted and it appears to be a good job. The only problem was the packer didn't do quite as good a job as Fredd would have liked and I had a couple of scratches. They were easily covered with a shake can. I'll be interested to hear how the powder coating works out. The D-rings bounce a little and chip the paint so it looks like keeping a can handy or re-painting every couple of years will be needed.