Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??'s for the professional welders

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shane74, Aug 25, 2005.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I am about to dump some $$ on a welder. I am looking for a small wire feed capable of 24 ga thru 1/4 or 5/16. I can get anything offered from Sears on a no interest loan type deal, so I am hoping that they have something that will suit my needs. Also, I am debating on whether to go 240 or 120. I know 240 is more efficient, but I need it to be portable, I guess I could always make up a 240 plug to connect in dryer plugs?? :thinking: :dunno:

If you have the time, please take a look at what they carry and make a recommendation to me. I'd like to place my order this week.

The link below will take you directly to what Sears has to offer.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/sear...ls&keyword=welder&displayTarget=searchresults

Thanks for the time and consideration! :waytogo:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have the top one. the hobart 140. that thing is the shizznt. it will weld the hell out of any thing on or going on my truck. one time i had to weld a 4" pipe to 3/4" plate. i beveled the pipe end and turned up the heat to max and welded it . then fliped over the 3/4" plate to find a solid heat ring on the back side. best bang for my buck.

some pics of my weld with out realy trying. #32 wire and speed at about 15 with gas and #3 heat . would do better with smaller wire and can also go to #4 heat.

new mud truck 023.jpg

new mud truck 049.jpg

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Is a 20% duty cycle enough? IIRC, 20% means that for every 20 seconds you use it, you let it cool down 100. Is that correct?

4. sweetk30

i dont see any real weld problems with the duty cycle. i just weld and it give me all it has every time. the pipe to 3/4" plate went smoth as silk.

also this welder has a fan in it.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I like the features it has. A few years ago, I worked in a full on fab shop as the engineering/production manager. I used to be able to lay a damn fine bead on just about anything, but we never welded anything thicker than 3/8". If it was thicker, we sent it out. I never was schooled on welding except for an old guy that took the time to train me some. I never learned too much about them other than I used what we had in the shop. So, before I dump any $$, I need to educate myself. A good friend is a welder by trade (some of the best work I have ever personally seen). I'll see what he has to say too.

6. sweetk30

your welding skills are just like mine. no formal traning. this thing fits me like a glove.

7. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

...Cool down for 80 seconds...

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

-here

My Lincoln 175 has a 30% duty cycle at 175. I don't forsee myself ever welding that long at that heat. I usually stop every 30 seconds and after a few passes stop to rework a piece or position the next one. Not to mention stopping to allow the metal to cool.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene. I am considering buying something like that just so I don't have to upgrade later. Something like that would handle pretty much anything I need to do. I have to figure out what the payments would be on it. Still, getting it on a 0% loan through work is dang tempting.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I Have a Lincoln SP135T with a bottle I'd let go for a good price, kind of hurting for money right now. Also have a Lincoln AX225 stick electrode too

12. tRustyK5

I noticed a few other models that were similar to the one I picked out. They were a bunch cheaper than the Lincoln, I think one was about $1500, and the other was $1650 or something.

I know the Sears here often sell stuff where you just pay 12 equal payments and no interest...pretty painless way to go IMO.

Rene

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I am not a professional welder. I just do maintenance on the welders and robots. But it seems to me that the lincoln have more trouble than the miller or panasonic ones we have. mostly computer boards going bad in the invertec pro 350 by lincoln and the 455 powerwaves. The welders seem to like the 1st generation of the hm350 panasonic the best in our shop. Never had to do more than replace a fan or fuse on these short of regular blowing the welding dust out of them. But not what you would want for the house i guess. Just kind of saying not a big lincoln fan. even out of our gas welders mig or stick setup people like the miller better.

14. tRustyK5

I have never had a single problem with any Lincoln machine I've used over the years. I strongly prefer Lincoln over anything else mostly because it's the only machine I've ever used that starts nice and hot immediately...and they seem to run smoother than other brands as well.

Unfortunately we have two new Millers and an old Hobart at work. The Millers are OK, but the Hobart is a tempermental dinosaur on it's best day. We did have a rental Lincoln for a couple of weeks, and it was a pleasure to use.

Rene

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

The millers seem to have more splatter on the mig welders and lincoln does alot of pulse welding better. I may just see alot of problems because our shop goes through 6000 to 8000 lbs of wire a week at least. most of our welders run near 20 hours (2 10 hour days) a day 6 days a week but that is getting to be only on the slow weeks.