Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??'s on straight column to tilt conversion.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

??\'s on straight column to tilt conversion.

I know that actual installation is bolt in, but what about the electronics? I am getting a column with tilt, cruise, wipers, etc. and want to install it. Is it plug and play, or do I need to get the harness as well (at least the part that plugs into the column). I would also like to convert the dash mounted wiper switch to the column. What is the easiest way to do this? TIA

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: ??\'s on straight column to tilt conversion.

hmm...

Same year, the wiring will be plug and play.

There were enough variations though, that you *might* have problems.

The overall length of the wiring SHOULD be the same, simply because most internal column parts are interchangeable. For instance, seeing if there are two 1986 turn signal swith assembles, and if so, why they were different.

Some of the differences can be: column or dash wiper control. Column or floor high beams. (a wiring issue, but not one that deals with the upper part of the column) Key in ignition buzzer. And cruise control. (electric vs mechanical)

Compare the plugs/wires at the base of the column. The colors may have changed, but if the wires are all in the same position (IE none "missing" on one or the other) on both plugs, and the plugs are the same, you *should* be ok.

Check out MJ's '85 wiring manual hes got online.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just did this last week, and Dorian is right, there were alot of changes between the years, apparantly. My truck is a 78 and I put a 79 column in it. there were some stange differences. the plugs all went in fine, but the sockets on the ignition switch were upside down on the 79 from what they were on the 78, so the plugs had to be modified. The thread pitch on the weldnuts in the new column is also different so I had to get different bolts. Other than that it was bolt in. What year is your truck, and what year is the column? If they are close you will probably be OK. If they are different you might have to do some cutting and splicing to get the harness to match up. </font color>

4. Leadfoot

It's a 1990 tilt column going into a 1980 truck. 10 Years difference. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. dyeager535

Yeah you are probably gonna see some wiring differences.

Obviously the dimmer switch, as well as cruise and wipers are gonna be way different. Likely the '91 will have the key in/door open buzzer wiring, but those are easy...just leave them as they are.

I'd suggest moving the wipers and dimmer to the column anyways, since the '91 is setup that way.

I'd get the dimmer wiring from an 80's car, as well as the "other end" of the column wiring for the turn signals etc., and splicing that in with the existing dash/floor mounted stuff.

FWIW, I personally think the tilt columns are over rated, and may go back to a straight one. If the only reason is tilt vs non tilt, you may re-think it, unless you REALLY need tilt. GM should have made telescopic columns standard for the trucks...its much more worthwhile than tilt.

6. Leadfoot

The tilt was an added bonus. I was looking at it for the wiper delay (rather than aftermarket cheesiness) and dimmer switch on the column.

7. dyeager535

Works perfect if you were looking at doing wiring changes anyways : )

I do like the idea of the dimmer and delay on the column, I had the floor mount dimmer switch in my '83 short out. That wasn't fun : )