Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?'s on swap from a/c to non a/c

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr34, May 3, 2004.

1. roostr34

roostr34 Registered Member

?\'s on swap from a/c to non a/c

When I swapped the drivetrain from 1/2 ton to 1 ton and threw in the bbc, I also did some rework to the plenum on the firewall where the blower motor is because I wasnt going to use the a/c anymore. I hacked part of it off because I was told I didnt need part of it anymore, but now I get no heat at all. I cut off the part that is closest to the middle of the truck that covers the last hole in the firewall and just covered that hole up w/ sheetmetal. Everything has been replaced, not sure what else to do. Should I have left the plenum on the firewall intact? any input would be appreciated. Thanx.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: ?\'s on swap from a/c to non a/c

I would go to a local yard and pull a box of a non a/c truck. I am not an expert on this particular subject, but it sounds like you blocked the airflow through the heater core. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C

I think so to, hit the junkyard.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm doing this swap also (along with converting from auto trans to manual and power windows to manual... see a theme?) Is anything other than a non A/C heater box and controlls needed for this? I'm almost tempted to just junk the whole heater idea but it gets to be in the negatives around here durring the winter /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You need the whole works from a non-AC truck. You need to cut a new hole in the firewall for the air to pass through. Make a template from the donor truck.

6. roostr34

roostr34 Registered Member

I think the j/y is a good idea, actually thats where I got my air box I have now. I havent been able to find a non a/c blazer yet. I looked at the lmc catalog and it looks as though the a/c setup has an additional hole on the firewall compared to a non a/c setup, thats why i covered up thew last hole in the firewall, thinking that it was not needed, obviously I did somethin wrong. I will head back to the j/y and see what I can find, thanx for all the input.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It doesn't have to be a blazer donor, could be truck too. Try some cab/chassis trucks as well, most of those were heater only (doesn't apply to southwest). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I converted my Burb over to non-AC. I had to cover the existing hole in the firewall, and cut a new one. I was in a pinch for parts, so my crewcab became the parts donor /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyway, the only part that was the same from AC to non-AC was the defrost plenum.