Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??'s on welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Oct 5, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

??\'s on welders

I plan to buy a mig welder sometime for at home. I was looking at the Lincoln Pro Mig 135. It is a 110 volt welder that can weld up to 5/16" in 1 pass. Would something like that be good enough for fabbing bumpers and such? I'm used to big industrial mig welders and the smaller ones I don't know much about so I'm looking for input on what people have and what they do with them.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: ??\'s on welders

I had a small one.
    20 amp breaker REQUIRED
    they are pretty optimistic on capacity
    220 in the biggest you can afford is the standard recommendation
    the miller210 is a great bargain currently with the spool gun promo

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I have had a Daytona Mig Pocket Turbo 130 for about 15 years and it has done wonders. Recently it has been overheating much more quickly than it used to while welding 3/8" rect tubing. I am looking for a 220v welder that has a greater duty cycle that this one (20% @ 130A).

If you really want to work on heavy stuff I recommend going to a 220V unit to start with. The 110 stuff is best for sheet metal but will get you by in a pinch. Try and get at least 20% duty cycle at 200A.

Also I dont know about the Lincoln but when I bought my Datona Mig we compared it to a Miller 110v unit and the Miller sucked pretty bad compared to the DM. The DM welds aluminum beautifully (bird netstin rare) and the Miller couldn't keep up. Of course this was in 1986-7 and a lot could have changed with the "toy" Millers...

thats my .02

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Only problem with a 220 unit is getting power to it. I want to keep it portible which I know you can do with a 220 but I would need a long extention cord for it. I don't have a garage and the only place to run a 220 line is in my bacement.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I had to run a 50a 220 dedicated circuit for my welder

6. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah getting power is a drag.

For about $80.00 I made a 100' extension cord out of 10ga wire from Home Depot.. that should be good enuf for 200A welder..

7. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Got to watch the duty cycle. Says it can weld 5/16 in one pass, doutful, but even if it can, for how long can it run that high. Get into some serious fab work you'll be waiting for it to cool down. I use my miller 130xp 110 volt mig for sheet metal and light fab work. Any serious stuff, like bumpers, I use a DC stick welder at work. I like Lincoln, but can't remember why I wound up with the miller.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have plenty of time to shop. I used a 115 volt Miller to do my shock mounts and spring perchs on my rear axle and thought that was a good welder.