Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-series body on full size frame

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by beater_k20, Dec 28, 2003.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

are there any real advantages to putting an S-series pickup or Blazer on a K-5/K-10 chassis? i know the drivetrain strength is a big step up for a S-series, and lift would be cheaper for it. but say i bought a beat up K-5 or K-10, and wanted to put an S body on it. would there be any real measurable advantages over the full size body?

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    are there any real advantages to putting an S-series pickup or Blazer on a K-5/K-10 chassis? i know the drivetrain strength is a big step up for a S-series, and lift would be cheaper for it. but say i bought a beat up K-5 or K-10, and wanted to put an S body on it. would there be any real measurable advantages over the full size body?

[/ QUOTE ]

Body is narrower, weight is less, leading to better(lower) center of gravity...just to name a few. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any info on how to swap a S10 cab on a fullsize frame? Im interested in this, but I wouldnt know where to start.

On another note, it seems it may be easier to swap fullsize drivetrain to a S10 chassis or is the frame strength an issue? Are there any other drawbacks to a drivetrain swap?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My S10 Blazer body on K5 chassis will be lighter than swapping your drivetain into an S10 body frame. My S10 will be a race vehicle. Thats how I'm building it, stripped down, very simple push button start wiring. It will get to sit next to the rest of the race cars on our property and look bad ass doing so /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. To swap your stuff to an s10 problems I forsee is fabbing up the suspensions. Rear wouldn't be hard but front would need to be wider for full size front axle. You'd almost want to look to Jeep boys for that idea. I know there is a guy over on Bluetorch's forum that has an S10 with full size axles, I will see if I can track him down.

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Can someone get me a measurement from the front of the hood to the very back of the cab on an Extended Cab S-10 pickup?

Just curious. I found one in Cincinnati, but unsure if Im going to drive that far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i'm curiouse about this swap too but i think it would be just as much fab work making body mounts and swaping the body over then fabbing up some spring hangers and some shackes for the front on the s-10 frame. maybe i'm wrong though, seems like everyone goes for the body swap. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I already have everything done to my suspensions, Doubler T-Cases and crossmembers, driveshafts, etc... done to my frame so I don't want to start over. Thats why I'll just swap the body.

8. rencher2

rencher2 Registered Member

85' s10 extended cab measures about 9' 4''(112") at center.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm how time changes, now I have an S10 framed rig in the process of build...

... that and I sounded retarded 2 years ago... eh I still do I guess

10. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Would you be so kind as to post up some pics when you are done. I plan on doing this swap out when my current cab is all fubar'd. Would love to become a little narrower and still keep it Chevy. How much floorboard has to be cut up to keep the body lift down to a minimum.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not building an S10 body full size. Mine is an S10 body with an S10 frame and full size axles.

12. 79chevyk10

13. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I know the WHITE KNIGHT doesn't look anywhere near this anymore but in their pic albums are some pics of when the 1st s-10 blazer body was put on. It's not a blazer frame, I think it was a 1-ton frame(if I'm wrong someone please correct me) but you can kinda get an idea of it.
    http://whiteknight.ca/THETRANSFORMATION.htm

14. 79chevyk10

I wonder if all that body lift was necessary? Probably had something to do with a s-10 blazer body on a K30 frame though. I plan on doing a s10 cab on a k10 frame.
    Thanks for the link, there were some good pics in there. Have alway been a fan of White Knight.

15. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just picked up my donor S10 Blazer cab today. Its going on my K10 frame soon. I am cutting off the back part of the top, like the K5's with no top, and tubing the front clip. Main reasons for this swap is that I have my drivetrain where I want, and I needed a little more room for my new baby boy to tag along with me , the wife and my 5 yr old girl. Also less weight and less body width on the trails. I will try to post some pics of the progress.

Clay

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

They slap the 2nd coming of the WhiteKnight together quickly to get it ready for TTC. So no the body lift wasn't greatly neccessary but mods had to be made to bring it down to meet the frame. If anything I think a K30 frame is taller then a K10(needing less body lift), but the first stage of the S10 bodied White Knight was on the K5 frame as far as I know. Not until the 3rd stage did they go to a K30 frame(if my memory is serving me right).

17. ragleone

ragleone Registered Member

I would never go back It like having a big block in a k5 and wheeling the smaller body is great. LOVE IT MY 2 CENTS

18. icu8mydust

icu8mydust Registered Member

So i think im an expert at this point lol, would i do it? Not worth the trouble. The older s10's pretty much share the same drivetrain minus the motor. They sport 700r4's and i think the 241's?

Honestly, i would stick with the s10 body/frame due to the s10's being box frames. The k5 frames are horrible and im trying to keep my frame in one piece. I will say that the COG is pretty sweet. and if you do do the body swap, you will have to move the firewall back to clear the motor and chop out the floor in the back to lower it on the frame. Take your time and do it right, it will look like a turd

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Fabrimacator21

Fabrimacator21 1/2 ton status

You'll have to get rid of the ifs but otherwise, good points.

Also isn't the rear axle in the s10 series something besides a 10 bolt?

20. Corey@NvrEnuf

Corey@NvrEnuf Newbie

youre right id swap the suspension too, people who dont understand suspension will think swappin the body makes more sense but thats hacking it, and the s blazer 4wd has a full boxed frame that is tucked close to the body

swap the suspension, a 4 yr old can change the body...as they do with legos.. unless ur incompetent , swap in the tcase and axles on to the sblazer chasis and you will have a lower center with the s-blazer chasis