Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

s-series help

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by DCDragon, Jul 19, 2002.

1. DCDragon

DCDragon Newbie

ok whats up, got a question....im looking for a 2-door s-series blazer/ jimmy, this will be a first car, im turning 16 in a lil bit...anyways, there are two in the area, one is down the street, definitely for sale but its got the 2.8...another one on a road i go through on the way to work, but its been sitting there for a while, hasnt moved (the grass is all dead) and its got the 4.3...i would inquire the people if i could purchase, but once i went over to see they werent home and looking at the various stickers on the door like 'insured by smith & wesson' i really didnt want to go back, but i think i could get it. so anyways, both of these are old style bodies, and now for my actual question...since this will see some off roading, i am going to add a lift, both body and susp. to get some 33s on it. is the superlift 2" lift any good? it will be coupled with /forums/images/icons/grin.gif a 3" performance acc. body lift. i dont want to spend too much $$ on a lift so the 5" trailmaster one is out, seems complicated anyways; also how about the diffs? i have found a 4:10s for them, should i keep them for the 33s with mild-medium offroading or should i beef up the rear with a swap? thanks

2. DCDragon

DCDragon Newbie

oops i forgot to mention...what are the drivetrain specs for each...i know the axles and engine, i've heard NP231 is the tcase, what about tranny ratios (the one with the 4.3L is a manual)

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

All I know is the 2.8's are crap Don't get that one!!!!

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get the 4.3. I have a 1993 S10 4x4 with the 4.3. Just turned over 125,000 miles and it don't miss a beat. And the poor thing had a mass load of off roading in it life before it became my backup vehicle for my K5.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The S-series drivetrains aren't bad in stock form but 33's are gonna kill it quick. Any lift kit is going to be spendy and any kit that rely's on cranking the torsion bars is one to be avoided.

I had an S-10 Blazer, an 89, and it was a decent truck, but after replacing a few CV joints and having to mess with the front axle a couple of times I got smart and got a full size straight axle truck.

For the same money you could buy an S-10 Blazer for you could find a straight axle truck and actually have something that will survive off road.

My two cents...

Rene

6. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

If you really want an S-10 Blazer look for the ZR2 rig, or get a solid front axle K5.