Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S-Truck body swaps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blk87K5, Oct 9, 2002.

1. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I have seen several /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif with S-truck bodies, whether extended cab or regular, on them. For some reason all that I have seen were the first body style of the S-trucks. Why? Are they easier to adapt on the full size frame? Why hasn't someone put a later model cab on one? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Cost, you can pick up an old s body for 200. while the 95 and up are still a few thousand bucks.

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

That is what I thought but wasn't sure. If one were to search hard enough, I know I could have found one for equivilant price to the older models w/ a blown drivetrain or something. Definately noticed that the resources in CO are more slim compared to TX for used vehicle parts.

4. CK5

Yeah, there is prolly a 95 out there somewhere with wasted drivetrain for cheap just not as easy to find. I wonder if you could put a 95 front clip on an older s body, don't know enough about the little guys yet.
    Not 100 percent sure I will go this route but I just may, It would be a while though, have to get a tow rig and trailer this winter first. I like how my K5 wheels now, the only thing I don't like is the body is to wide for the REAL fun trails, so why not just put a narrow body on and have the best of both worlds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yup. all the Heep and Chev-yota guys are running full width Chevy axles. we might as well chop the body. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the body lines are not even close to matchin up...would have to do some custom body work to make it work...hey you could have my room mate do it with his tire from his jeep...very custom...take a look
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I need to find someone with an older S-10 so I can get a load of measurements to find out how feasible it is to swap bodies on one. I *might* put a S body on mine, haven't decided. Even if I put a fullsize truck cab on it, there would no be that much sheet metal left. Only sheet metal that would really be in the way then would the fenders. Getting to where I have a total disregard for damage anyway. Tim hasn't finalized the plans of my black camo paint scheme yet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think I need more dents and a lot of beer to pull off a job as slick as his. Kremling crawl might be a little hard on a full size body. Steven did ok though.

8. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I would just cut the body in half, take out a chunk, and weld it back together, but that would be a little hard to do in 2.5 weeks. I won't have much shop time this winter. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I could probably get it done, but it wouldn't be as since it would be rushed. Hell, I guess all of the booger welds would match the rest of them on the truck.

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Talk to Theresa. (aka White Knight) on this site. She's from Alberta, Canada & has put an S-10 body on her K5 frame

10. CK5

Theresa put a s-body on a K30 frame which is flat in the rear unlike a K5 frame where it turns up to go over the tank, I talked to a guy who did one and to do it right (no 5" body lift action) you have to allow the rear frame rails to go through the floor of the s body and then build a new floor section. His budy was the one with the white s truck on a Burb frame.

11. CK5

Here is one but not the one I was talking about. S-body on K5 frame. I would have to have the entire top cut off though. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    [​IMG]

12. Team Wilson

Team Wilson Registered Member

I've done a '93 on a 1 ton frame. There isn't any reason to run the frame through the bed, you'll have to build your own body mounts because the full size frames are more narrow at the cab than a S-series. You can place your mounts to the cab any where you want with no body lift required.

13. CK5

Do you have any pics, I would love to see them and how did you like that setup?

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

If you are really going to go for the smaller body, a S-Blazer would not be the ticket, IMHO.

Slap a 80's cab on there, build a flat bed for all your gear and Exo cage the thing.

If you do a good job, you have a sick hybrid that gets minimal body damage, and is very safe. Enclosed cab, minus doors of course, with all the tools, spare, etc, in kustom boxes in the flat bed.

15. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the correction Steve. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Whenever I get to build a custom S-10 Blazer trail rig; I'll be making my own chassis & suspension. I'm with you thought that the roof is history & a full cage is in! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. 78K5395MT

78K5395MT Registered Member

Why do a lot of people take the doors off exactly? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Remember this guy Steve? He added 8" to the front to easy clear the engine and make the tires work in the wheel wells. Said most of the body mounts were real close. He took some time to stress to me how easy the whole project was. Stated that he had lost about a 1000 pounds.

S10 Video

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

better visability, cooler (temp. wise), less weight, one less thing to break.

19. CK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Slap a 80's cab on there, build a flat bed for all your gear and Exo cage the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be a real good compromise but I need a back seat for my kid and you would still be able to wedge the wide cab in between a rock and a hard place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. CK5

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, any more pics of that s-10?