Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S&W cage pics anyone?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnSPledg, May 5, 2004.

1. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about ordering an S&W cage for my 72. I'd really like to see some pics of it installed in a 1st gen.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

PM Larry_in_Tx he just installed one in his 72 Jimmy.

3. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

The only pics I took were mainly to catch the wife working on it so I can blame her for any boogered up parts but you might be able to get an idea on how it turned out.

I had to get creative on tying the rear part into the frame but I think it came out ok. I can get more pics of how it ties to the frame and a few better ones of the inside so you can see how it came together. Just let me know if you want 'em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Definately looks stout. I have been trying to decide between the S&W and the smitttybuilt kits if those are even available still. I'd really apreciate any pics of areas that were tricky, or weren't exactly what you liked about it.

5. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i would be really great to see some more pictures.

tie in to the frame, front mounts, how you dealt with the rocker boxes, etc..

you will be the first to show how the S&W cage works on the 1st gens!
    tp

6. Larry_in_Tx

Ya I’m lagging on getting the pics, I haven’t had much pc time the last couple of days. I’m killing myself trying to get the truck ready for its first run with the 1ton junk on it this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I’ll get more when I’m back at the house this afternoon and post ‘em up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

I don't want to walk over Larry_in_Tx, but a guy on another board is in the process of doing one and has a bunch of pictures. Pretty good description of the install and problems he encountered and dealt with. Here's the link, S&W Cage Install

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Now, is it just me, or are some of those booger welds scary to have in a cage?

Maybe they're just tack spots and they were redone right when the cage came out, but some of those welds jes' don't look right.

-- A

9. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, is it just me, or are some of those booger welds scary to have in a cage?

[/ QUOTE ]

He mentioned it's all tacked right now, so let's hope it cleans up. It looks like he's using a smaller mig machine with a flux core wire which might explain the look. I'd like to see it done with a tig, but still good pictures and explanation of the install.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah well that halo sure seems to be completely tied into the A pillar bars, and they look like something I just blew out of my nose.

11. Larry_in_Tx

Well I finally took a few more pics of the cage if you still want to check em out. For some reason I couldn’t get them to load in the members rides this morning so you’ll have to hit the link in my sig line to get to them.

I took just a few more shots of the parts I thought you might be wondering about and you can see I took a different rout with my install than the guy in the link ljbear posted up. I ordered the “family” cage add on for the rear, which changed it a bit, but I also wanted to tie mine to the frame without the sandwich plates. The only place I used the plates was in the rear because the angle it took to get the bars to the frame would have the passengers outside shoulder hanging out of the cage. That’s how I ended up with the goofy eyebrow looking thing back there because I have zero faith in the plates and had to have something down to the frame.

The shots of the outriggers show how the A pillars and the main hoop tie in. I dropped the ruster boxes so I didn’t spend much time looking at how the install would have went with them still on the truck. Just looking at the pics in ljbear’s link I figure that guy is keeping the rocker boxes and would be the reason he used the sandwich plates in those spots. It would be quite the booger trying to work in that area with the boxes in.

As far as the tough spots on the install go, the only thing that was hard was getting the “kicker” off the main hoop cut and welded to the frame. In the pic you can see where it goes through the floor and in the rear outrigger pic, just above where the outrigger hits the frame, you can see where it landed. The frame has two angles there and it was hard for me to get the cut matched up with them. It took some acrobatic welding to get it finished up only because I didn’t drop the exhaust…I always have to do at least one thing the hard way. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I threw an overhead pic in there with the others so you could see where I added a few bars. I wouldn’t say the S&W guys sent me an unsafe cage but I feel better with a couple more triangles put in when I’m sitting in the drivers seat.

I’m sure I left out a few points and I know when I reread the post I’ll probably be just as confused as you guys so feel free to ask any other questions or hammer on me a bit for my rambling. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thanks for the pix. i may have lots of questions in a few months. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Larry check your PM's I sent you one, not sure if you're online much anymore