Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S&W Cage Pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have posted some new pics of my cage install. Only took about 4 hours to install this.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/32175390UMgImrALhW>Cage Pics</a>

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Looks good Neil!

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That looks really good! Did they have a kit which covers the back seat as well? If not, do you think a second kit could be modified to attatch on easily? You can't beat the price on these things. How long did it take you?

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

They have an add on for like $40 or somehting close to that, that will cover the rear seats also.

Ken H.

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Do you have to remove the stock parking brake lever?

6. four_by_ken

I dont know, I never put one in.

Ken H.

7. four_by_ken

I cant tell from the pictures... is this a bolt in or weld in kit?

Looks good.

What was the told cost with shipping?

Thanks
    Ken H.

8. Mudzer

I did not have to modify the parking brake levers. I did trim the corner off my dash plate and removed the screw. I didn't want to have problems later when I needed to remove the dash. My Cage is welded in totally. I welded in 3/16" Plate on the floors. The kit comes with more bars than I installed, but I didn't find them necessary. I installed the smaller Gusset Tubes myself. The Cage is very rigid. I plan to install a rear cage soon, just ran out of time.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

So, what was the total cost? I need to put a full cage in mine since the whole top comes off, so I know mine'll be more, but I just want to get an idea of how much I'll be spending. Thanks!

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Is there enough extra material on that top halo to go through the dash? Or is it already cut to length?

11. Mudzer

Russ,

You will notice I installed my cage approximately 6" further back than I could have. The Halo comes a little long, and is pre-notched. There are several tubes which are not pre-notched. I used paper, scissors and a marker to transfer the pattern needed to be cut out. I used a plasma cutter and grinder to notch my tubing. It worked great. I did do one modification though. The way the halo was bent, it would have been much lower on the main hoop. So, I stuck it in my "poor mans bender" (2" receiver on my truck!) and tweaked both legs of the "U" inward about 2". This allowed me to install the halo higher on the main hoop. I wanted it tight to the roof. I belive this cage could have been installed through the dash without many modifications. I just did not have time to remove all the dash components to do this. I think the cage turned out fine without going through the dash. I am no finished with this cage kit. I will have a race car fabricator finish the rear portion for me. I am either tying it into my existing factory rear roll bar, or designing something different that will cover passengers. Here are the bars I did not use: Two short diagonals used from main hoop shoulder bar down to the tranny hump, door bars and rear support bars. Essentailly, mine is only a 4 point cage at this time. Soon it will be finished.

The cage cost me $254 shipped to St. Louis. It came in 4 bundles and came with 6x6-1/8 plates for mounting to the floor. I would rank the quality of this kit high. Its definately worth it if you can weld. My siblings bought my Dad a new Miller 110v Gas Mig and Auto-Darkening helmet for Christmas (lucky me!). The 110 is good for doing projects like this with up to 1/4" thick material. I have learned to weld with a mig over the years so I was confident I could do this. I removed all the carpet and seats, then started cutting out rusty floor pans. I installed 3/16" plate to replace the rusty floor, then welded the cage to that.

I still plan to install the rear cage, plus some bars which go from the main hoop to the front of the halo to keep the bar from collapsing from a diagonal load. These will have some funky bends to make them clear the passenger/drivers heads. I will also install some grab handles.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thanks for the info. BTW, nice job, it really looks good. Got me thinking about S&amp;W again, that's why I asked. I just want it closer to the A pillars and it sounds like that will work fine. Mine is pretty much gutted so I think it would go through the dash a little easier. If not, I don't mind cutting the wee out of it if need be. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Very cool, Neil. What kind of liner is that? Did you do that yourself? Is it a roll-in?

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info, I bought a bunch of 1 1/2 DOM tubing to make my own cage but lack a tube bender. I think I'll use that for rock sliders and go the same route you have. Your info would make a good write up for the site (hint hint Steve).

15. Mudzer

Glad I could help guys. I may contact S&amp;W to see if they would give us a discount for a writeup. I already payed for mine, but would like to pass on the savings.

BigTex, my bedliner is Herculiner from AutoZone. It rolls on without major pains. You will need to buy some Acetone, MEK or Xylene to clean with, plus a small paint tray, but the kit for $89 comes with everything else. AutoZone had a special for $20 rebate from Herculiner. Perhaps you could acquire about this.

16. four_by_ken

Dont CK5 members already get a 10% discount through S&amp;W?

Ken H

17. four_by_ken

Man, I just checked it out... guess not, no discount. But they do have the 8 point cages on sale for $109 right now. Then like $40 for the rear add on. Just might have to bump up the cage on my list of priorities.

Ken H.

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Lookin' good/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Couple of questions for ya'

Whats the pipe dia?
    Wall thickness?
    Mild-steel, or Chromoly? (I thought they were Chromos', for some resson)
    How much do you think it weighs?

Thanks!

19. Mudzer

The Cage is made from 1 3/4" x .134" wall Mild Steel tubing. I would say it added approximately 100 pounds to my vehicle.