Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

s&w or other cage pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm500hprat, Mar 1, 2005.

1. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

Im looking for a cage for a blazer and I would like to see If anyone out there has pics of the s&w

They said to look here. They recommended to me The 10pt. Cage A Sportsman Conversion A Family Bar Two Additional Door X-Braces . Any pics would be appreciated.

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

3. gm500hprat

tks

thats an awesome cage what parts did you buy from s&w and what parts did you make? Was that a K5 or a truck to start off with?

4. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2419/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2418/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/1
    Not the best pict in the world but all I got right now. I tied the s&w to the smittybuilt that I already had so I had the rear bars extra so I made swing out door bars and two roof runners. Love the cage good for me because I dont have a bender but I do have a welder, grinder, and a drill which is all i needed to install this thing. First pict has a loose bar laying on the floor so dont get confused. $350 delivered with the swing out door bar kit.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

6. gm500hprat

tks

these cages look like they are designed to go in front of the dash. Is it able to be pushed forward to where its behind the dash and the front vertical bar is not viewable when the door is off

7. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

You are correct, they are made to be in front of the dash. If you had new bars bent up you could have it anyway you want it, but they do not come that way. S&W cages that is.

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

That is my friend Jeremy's truck. It is still a K5 but chopped up quite a bit. If you want to contact him to discuss his cage you can find him as 'balls of fire' on austink5.net

9. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

i installed a S&W cage in my pickup and ended up putting the front bars through the dash and made vinal pads to cover up holes looks preety good and save lots of leg room i get some pics of it up tommorow afternoon. If ya want them

10. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

My brother and I built this cage, I still have some stuff I want to finish. He is in Simi Valley if you feel like making a little drive over there he might consider doing some tube work for you. He is cragrat on PBB

[​IMG]

We set it up so the top has 1/2" between the tubing and top. Its kinda hard to see in this pic but you can see the A pillars.
    [​IMG]

11. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I really like the idea of getting both the smitybilt and the s/w and then welding them together. Do you think that's possible on a 1990?

12. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I plan on putting in racing seats and one for my son, and unfortunately the wife said I hafta put in a roll cage before I take him out wheelin, :dunno:damn her..I cant believe shes gonna make me do that!!!! The nerve! :D

13. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I've wheeled two of my kids in the K5 multiple times without and now that I have the time to do the project right, I'm going to put in a cage. I never got crazy with them in the back, mostly just playing in the mud and easy stuff. Now that I got the back seat out of there because I tore out the carpet and am going to put that roll on fake rhino liner, I wouldn't mind just putting in a couple of good racing seats in the back with 5 points for the kids. Not sure how that would work out though.

14. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I dont see why I would not work. I can work on getting more picts if you want. I love to sleep in the back of this thing when I go wheeling so I really liked the way the smittybuilt mounted and the truck came with it. The front baseplates of the smittybuilt are very large so when I started test fitting it just came to me to tie them togeather. Plus I had bar left over for the roof and swing out door bars.

15. gm500hprat

tks

thanks sean that would be awesome

16. shiftyone

shiftyone Registered Member

GM
    I have been doing some cage research to find out different options based on price of buying one built and building one. I am not a heavy off roader, mainly just some recreational stuff, going to the deer lease, and dune running around the beach etc.
    I am going to be getting the Smittybuilt rear cage for my 88 k5, i might eventually go with the front but the rear cage is a good start for me, they apparently used to use 3 inch pipe and now have 2 inch pipe with .120 thickness, and Summit Racing has the rear cage for $166.00 which is an incredible price "for me".
    I looked at the cost of doing my own rear cage (simple cage) and it was going to be about the same or more because steel prices have gone up, plus bending and welding.
    Anyway, I talked to 4wheel parts and they claim that the Smittybuilt cage is going to be discontinued but I am not sure if that is true.
    Good look to you.
    Shiftyone