Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S & W roll cage/bar

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tp85, May 17, 2002.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got off the phone with S&W. They sell a 10 (maybe 8) point roll cage for first gen blazers for $200. They also sell rear runners to cover the rear seat. Except for the main hoop which is one piece per NHRA rules, the cage comes in kit form (i.e. you need a MIG welder).

Their product *sounds* slightly beefier than smittybuilt. I think smittybuilt uses .120 2" tubing (not sure if tubing has a seam). S&W uses .134 1-5/8" tubing with electronic welded seam. S&W claims that NHRA requires .120 thickness, even at the bends...so they use .134 to meet specs.

So, does anybody have pictures of their first gen with the S&W cage? The price seems ok. I have a MIG welder, but no bender. This kit sounds like the ticket. Unfortunately, S&W has no pictures.
    Tom

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do a search for rollcages and for S&W there's some people who have them.... I want one but shipping is $120 to here and that killed it for me....

3. tp85

they quoted me $70 shipping to MD

I can't seem to find any pics of the cage in a big 4X4. Ideally, I'd like to see it in a first gen blazer.

Anyone?

4. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I checked out S&W and even with shipping it sounds like a good deal. ERW is inferior to DOM tubing but it will pass inspection if you need worry about that stuff.

Since they don't have pictures and I have been burned on a roll cage putrchase in the past (not by S&W BTW) I got a JD2 on order :-P let you know how that goes in a few months.

Any boidy have a better price $3.00 a foot on 1.75/1.20 DOM? IS that what I should expect to pay?

5. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

here is SLC utah there is a place that is about 2.50 a foot for .120 dom.
    circle track guys here run dom, .065? for there cars. It holds up good but they also tripple the number of bars in comparison to 4x guys. .125 DOM 2inch should be JUST FINE. Have you not played with tube before? I too would appreciate an e-mail of the cage you talk of. I may build front kickers on mine on my HF POS.... gotta get it runnin first.

6. tp85

I still have not found a first gen blazer with the S&W cage. It kind of makes me wonder how many they have actually sold. They did say that the cage was in stock except for the rear runners.

7. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

keep lookin. Idon't think the smitty is really worth it all that mutch. Do they still sell it as a kit? Can i add it to my roll bar?

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The Smittybilt rollbar does not have a seam. It is a ok roll-bar and it's better than nothing but it is way overpriced for what you get.

9. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I was wonder if anyone closed the Loop on the S&W roll cage? Does anyone have pics? It seems like a good price for what you get.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i get the money im getting the cage from s&w so when i do i'll be sure t post what it looks like.gotta get my 3/4 ton running geear under the blazer first though.thats top priority so i can actually go wheeling again.

11. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I was looking at the specs from a previous post. It looks like the main hoop goes to the cab floor not the bed. I was hoping to see how that worked. You might have to do some seat modifications. I think I'll probably go with them also. I was just hoping for a little help.

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

was over at my buds house yesterday and said what is that thing??......the guy he lives with has a tube bender sitting in the corner of the garage.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...I'll be bring my slider tubing over to get it bent....

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I was wantring to build a family cage but connect tthe front to the windshield frame up by the visor corner somehow. i dont do any rock crawling but it would make me feel safer. if i role it it will be on the freeway or bouncing out of a rut so a cage wont help much if any anyway. i just dont want to loos the functionality of window handels ect.

didnt mean to hijack the post

nathan

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

This is a pic of My S@W cage. I love it. fit great. Main hoop mount's to floor, The rear supports were supposed to go to floor, But i moved them out so I could fit the rear seat back in. It also has the tubes that run down the sides by the doors. the only problem I had was the door panels don't fit now. The arm rests hit the down tubes. Almost a perfect fit. My seats installed fine. just can't recline now. Took about 5 hrs to fit and tack weld, and 3 hrs to weld complete. I also didn't use the bar across under dash. I cut that down and used 1 piece on the top, from main hoop to windsheild hoop. I used the remaining 1/2 to run from floor plates to frame, so now my body is "firmly" attached to frame! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

So is that the 10 point option? I've been thinking about their cage but just havnt decided yet. How much did shipping run you? Thanks.

16. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yes, Thats the 10 point option. I think my shipping was under 40.00 can't remember for sure. But, I am only 300 miles away from them. I have been using ther kit's for years. Most of my race cars and the ones I built used there cages. I have never had a problem with there kit's and there service has always been top notch. If you call them, ask for ridge, he was usually my salesman.

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I plan on having one in for Moab. Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Anyone have updated pics for these?