Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S10 Blazer or ful size?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by anatomiczero, Nov 6, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I'm 16 and should be gettting a car pretty soon. Which should I get? I'm a little worried about fuel economy so I'm not sure. If I got a full size4x4 it would be around an 80' if I got an S10 it would prob be 2wd and about 89' for the 4.3 V6.

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Is fuel economy your only concern? What do you need it for?

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'd suggest an '87-'91 fullsize. It's 350 usually, has fuel injection, and should get you around 14 to 16 mpg depending on axle ratios, tires, and driving style. You've got overdrive, and most of the kinks are worked out of the 700R4. You're in school, and you need a cool truck to drive.

On the other hand you've got the s10. in my opinion, totat POS. 4.3 V6 is nice, but that's about it. Not removable top, axles are weak, ifs if I'm correct, no aftermarket, less room, and I'm afraid you'll see about the same mileage, maybe 2 mpg better.

I see '88-'89 blazers for sale all the time in the $3000 range. What's your price frame look like?

you might check out this bbs, they have an S-truck forum.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl>http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl</a>

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

3 grand would be my limit, i'm looking for the cheapest i can get around 1 grand or so. What i'm worried about is insurance. an 80 full size 4x4 will cost me $139 a month if i have a B avg. but i have a B- avg so it might cost more.

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

5. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

My insurance on my '86 Blazer with full coverage was about $141 a month with a perfect record! It is about $212 on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee, ouch! I'm 17!

Pics of my sold military blazer--&gt;http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86

6. stump

stump Registered Member

IMHO, I would suggest purchasing a full-size Blazer. [​IMG] Fuel economy isn't going to suffer much, if any. (my S-10 gets worse gas milage than most CK5er's that I've talked to) [​IMG] And you can have more fun with a K5![​IMG]

Hey now, that's not a nice thing to say! S-10's are not Pieces of Sheet! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Yeah the suspension is total crap, but other than that, these are tough-a$$ little trucks. Dump a SFA in an S-10, and it can run circle's around a K5. Let the flaming begin! [​IMG][​IMG]

Austin, Texas
    1991 S10 Blazer, 6 in. suspension, 3 in. body lift, mt's.

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I will agree...s-10's are tough little trucks. I've had experiance with many of them all different years. I had a '91 s-10. I got it after I sold my dually. It got about 25 miles to the gallon. It was like a new truck. Real quiet, a/c, everything. I can't speak enough for them. That little truck went offroading, went to take care of my horse out on a ranch, and was realiable as anything. The biggest repair bill on it was 100 bucks. I had it for a while too. Awsome little truck. My hubby had an '84 that he beat the tar out of and it never failed on him. The truck had 300K on it. My father in law bought it from him and loved it so much, he bought a brand new '97 (new then) and has loved it! Then, for a company truck, he bought a bare bones '91 and that truck is great too and is still in the family. I sold mine cause we have to pull our '56 around and various other things. Nick sold his to his dad cause he got the camaro. S-10's are great trucks. They are really good for light offroading, cheap maintence, and getting you around town and such. I would suggest you get a standard. You get the standard, and that truck will last forever and do you right. All of the s-10's I mentioned above had 5 spds except for the '97 and two of them had the 2.8, one had the 4 banger, and the '97 has the 4.3. I would suggest looking hard for a 4.3 and would not buy someting with the 2.8 unless it had the 5spd behind it. 2.8's with the auto behind it are gutless.

I love my K5 and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I still miss my little s-10.

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have a friend with an '89 S-10 2wd, and its for sale! rebuilt tranny and engine in the last few months, but he wants a little more for it. We put that engine in...what a pain in the ass to work on. Definately get a K5. Chicks dig K5's. We both got the sam ekind of mileage out of both kinds of Blazers though, but my friend drives like a lunatic.

90K5