Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S10 blazer/V8 swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Aug 6, 2001.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

my father inlaw has got the bug to put a 350 under the hood of his 85 S10 blazer the question is should he? if yes have you or do you know someone who has and do you know of any companies that provide parts or manuals for doing this. he'll probably end up doing it i just thought i'd ask you people.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont know how to make it clickable, but try this site, its all
    S-10:

www.s10-4x4.com

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i don't know, but have heard of people doing it...helped a friend take out and put in a 4.3 in his, and I can't see how a 350 would ever fit in there. You will probably need to move the radiator and shroud, becasue the 4.3 seemed like a tight fit......I know there is a book aobut doing it though, don't know what its called.

90K5

See my truck at <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</a>

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

It really isn't that big of a job if you have did engine replacments before. You also have to consider what tranny are you using, is it 4 wheel drive? I am pretty sure that you need a different radiator either way. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.northenautoparts.com>www.northenautoparts.com</a> sells a conversion kit for like $450 comes with radiator(aluminum)[​IMG], headers and the motor mount kit. You will need to change the transmisson thou. Friend and I did this in his 2 wheel drive. Keep in mind the rear isn't ment for 300 HP either so take that into consideration.
    Good luck!
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

5. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I had a S15 recently with a 400sb in it. It was done with the kit that the fella replying here mentioned. If you do a swap, there are books with detailed steps available and the kit is worth the $$. It takes a special radiator, motor mounts,headers to clear the steering, and be careful with the distributor hitting the firewall! They are lots of fun! I kept a muffler exhaust and embarassed some fast cars and some Ford Lightning trucks once in a while! Mine looked stock and sounded like a throaty V6. A guy that lives near me has a S10 with a 454 Chevy big block in it too. He had to completely redo his firewall.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I read about a guy once that put an LT1 in an s10 pickup a couple years ago. It was pretty wild, but it looked like he had to cut up and rebuild his firewall also. Once it was all ironed out, he was real happy with it, and it looked unbelieveable.
    I considered doing something like that to my S10 with the 2.8 when I first bought it, but it was a PITA to do anything in that engine compartment.

That's a neat project, the results should knock the socks off that little truck....

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

7. stump

stump Registered Member

www.JagsThatRun.com

They have S-10 V8 conversion manuals. These are a must for anyone who is thinking about dropping a V8 in an S-10.

Austin, Texas
    1991 S10 Blazer, 6 in. suspension, 3 in. body lift, mt's.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have MANY friends that have done this with 283s, 350s, 355s, 383s, and 400s. A few of them drive the trucks every day, including the one with the 283. That kid drive it EVERY day to work, and it cost him a grand total of $85 to build it, including the S10.

The 4.3 L V6 shares bellhousing patterns with the V8s and I think motor mounts too. The 2.8/2.5 share NEITHER bellhousing nor motor mounts but their are bolt ups for the motor mounts now. If it's got a stick shift you can get a bellhousing for the T5 tranny out of a Camaro that will bolt on the 2.5/2.8L tranny and it'll bolt up.

Radiators are easy. Get one out of a 3rd Gen Camaro. you might want the electric fan for it too. It's reversable so you can put it behind the grille. One of my friends has one from a Chevy truck, but the Camaro one is nice, big enough for a V8, cheap at the junkyard, and already aluminum.

If it's 4wd you're going to need a $250 oil pan that comes from either Jeg's or Summit and some other places too.

The rearend is a 7.5" 10 bolt, also found in 3rd Gen Camaros, and has been known to hold up to a reasonable amount of power.

If you have any questions about this, email, PM, or post them here. I can get the info for you. Right now three of my friends are driving them, and one just took his apart after he destroyed the Ford 9" he had out back and the TH 350 he had in it. That's a long story, but it was far from a stock motor. He was sick of it after having it together for a week so he parted it.

My one friend has one in a '94 S10. It's quite weird to see it in a newer truck, but that's why he has it. Oh, BTW, they bought that truck BRAND NEW and a week later had the 350 in it. Cool huh?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks all for your help on this topic it is greatly appreciated. i just talked to my father-law and he's gonna check this site out for himself.thanks