Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S10 body guys, weights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 16, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm heavily thinking about it, the moer I work on the K5 the less I want to run the full body rig. I love how it looks and its my baby but I really would like to roll the body onto my trailer and haul it off. If I would do that it would get an S10 cab with tube front and rear. Wondering if anyone can give me weight ideas on the S10 setup? I'm expecting my K5 now is around 6000 pounds. If I did the s10 cab I would set it back on the body a little to move some weight back a little.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

white knight was at 5400lbs recently... pretty light for such a big/built hybrid rig (468 etc).

dont see any reason why a more...modestly built s-10'd k5 couldnt be 4500 or so.

j

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't see a 1500 lb difference in body weight...maybe 500 optimistically. The real advantage is width, not so much weight loss.

Rene

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't see a 1500 lb difference in body weight...maybe 500 optimistically. The real advantage is width, not so much weight loss.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, right on, I did not notice much weight loss. In fact, before I cut up the body (roof, doors, etc.) I think it weighed about the same. With full roof, glass, doors, spare tire, tools and me in it, it weighed in at 6000 lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I had to go on a diet after that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. jekbrown

no inners fenders, very little outter fenders, glass hood + pins, s-10 cab only, no bed in the rear, no tail gate, removable doors. When they did the Bummer kit swap in fourwheeler they said they lost a thousand-something pounds.

j

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

350/700/241/60/14/detroits x 2/ s-10 ext. cab with full interior, a/c complete and works/ 44" Boggers on hummer beadlocks/ right at 5200#.

Still a little heavy for me, but the narrow width is great.

Rob

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats all? I like the sound of that, I'd really like to be in the upper 4000 low 5000 range, but I think for now I'm staying full body, see how it works out on the trails around here.

8. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    no inners fenders, very little outter fenders, glass hood + pins, s-10 cab only, no bed in the rear, no tail gate, removable doors. When they did the Bummer kit swap in fourwheeler they said they lost a thousand-something pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight up comparison the S-10 body is not much lighter than the K5 body.

Lets do this to a K5: no inner fenders, very little outer fenders, glass hood and pins, reg cab only, no bed in the rear, no tailgate, removeable (or no) doors. Betcha it'd weigh about a thousand pounds less. The point is that the weight difference between the S-10 and the K5 is not great enough to be worth it from a weight savings standpoint. Hell, my little stock 89 S-10 Blazer weighed in at a fairly hefty 4300 lbs, and the only cast irnon was the block and the 7.625" 10 bolt rear diff.

My neighbor and I lifted the entire rear part of a K5 (the whole box part) into a rental truck. We had to walk it 30 feet and up a ramp. Neither one of us are big guys, hell I weigh no more than a buck and a half...

My point is the body itself isn't that heavy. Doors, tailgate and topper are pretty hefty though and provide easy ways to drop weight for the trail.

You want a lightweight rig buy a sammi, stick some Toy diff's under it and run 33's on aluminum rims. Maybe a 1.6L Sidekick mill...if you can stand the ribbing you'll get from anyone with a bigger truck.

The full bodied K5 coming in at 4500 lbs or less is a pipe dream. A built K5 coming in at under 5000lbs would be prohibitively expensive to build...lots of cast iron in the heavy duty parts.

Rene

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I totally agree. Sheet metal is sheet metal and there really isn't a whole lot less in a S body than fullsize. They both have similar basic structure. My truck weighs around 5600 lbs I think., I want to lose the bigblock and swap to LTI w/aluminum heads to lighten it up a bit. With the smallblock I can also use a smaller, lighter radiator and other parts.

10. jekbrown

s-10 cab swaps still rule. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I am still real happy with my truck now. I like the size and visibility the smaller body gives and I still have a roof and doors for bad weather. I can't convince myself to go buggy yet because I like to drive mine on the street and enjoy a windsheild, roof and heat.

12. jekbrown

see thats what Im thinking... if I stick with the K5 body, its only a matter of time before it looks very ORD-esque as I try to shoehorn it onto narrower and narrower trails and it just wouldnt work very well as a daily driver in a place that rains 9 months a year. lol! with the s-10 + exo, the interior could be super cozy.. maybe even bling, and it'd work great as a DD and still be able to fit into pretty tight spots (atleast, as tight as a rig with a full width D60 is capable of).

j

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thinking along those lines, I know where there is a newer S10 cab sitting in a junkyard with the interior, slap some race seats in it and try and set it all up so you use stock dash and interior I think that would be a really nice setup. nice and comfy you'd have to look(or drive) to realize you're in a lifted up trail rig.

14. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmm, well, considering I only used the "cab" of the truck, it was quite a bit lighter than the whole K5 even after I had the tailgate, roof, and all interior stuff stripped. We had to use a lift for the K5, but a couple of dudes for the s-10.

OTOH-by time I finish the tubing for the exo and rear cage, it will prolly be about the same!!,,,,It is cozy though, and a small peak out of the window nets me a nice view of the Boggers, and a turn of the head out the back window and I can see EXACTLY waht is behind me and how far obstacles are.

Its easier to fit fo-dee-foos on too!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If I did it, I would just use the cab then exo cage it. Won't happen for a bit though, I am buying tires and was trimming on the K5 body last night, just gonna run it and see how it works out.

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I like the small cab idea, especially starting about this time of year. But I still can't see doing really hard stuff in anything with sheet metal and doors that you have any expectation of closing and sealing up.
    All together, the S-truck cab seems to be a good compromise. It's still GM, it's cheap, and it's lighter, maybe not a lot but it's going to right direction.

Mine comes in around 5200 without me in it. By the time it hits the trail with a full tank, all the tools, kids, kid seats, me and wife, I think it's real possible I'm up around 57-5800. With me running alone, I could probably run around 5400-5500.

By the time I add a heater, some more interior, etc, it's only going to get worse. It's hard to do it all with one vehicle.

17. tRustyK5

This hobby is all about trade-offs and compromises, no matter which brand or what size truck you start with. That's probably the number one reason we all see the huge variety of builds...

Rene

18. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the small cab idea, especially starting about this time of year.

[/ QUOTE ]
    How about in August? Tell us about what it is like in a rain storm! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    But I still can't see doing really hard stuff in anything with sheet metal and doors that you have any expectation of closing and sealing up.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey, mine still close! Softop doesn't seal so well anymore. You need straight bedsides for that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif