Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S10 Project, update, and help on BIG decision

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 29, 2005.

?

Street/Trail or full on Truggy

1. Should I street this beast?

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Truggy it and wheel her hard?

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright here is my 1985 S10 after my work yesterday. I pulled the 10 bolt out. Replaced it with my 14 bolt FF in spring over fashion. Its sitting on some 245/75/16s in the picture(tires off my now junked Suburban). The closer I got to installing the axle, the more I realized how easy it would be to get this rig rolling...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After it was under there, my dad is now HOUNDING me to change project directions. He wants me to put some slightly deeper backspacing rims on it, lift it a bit more, and drive it on the street/trail. The body is so nice thats why this idea is prompted.

The idea was:
    Truggy
    TH350
    Doubler
    4 link rear
    5.13 gears in the 60 and 14 bolt with detroits
    39.5" IROKs.

Now my thought is:
    full body
    700R4
    241(I have both of these so no added cost)
    the high pinion 60 and 14 bolt, but 4.10 gears and maybe an ARB up front.
    36x12.50x16.5 TSLs
    Hummer H1 rims

Dad wants me to drive it till the body damage is so bad, then go truggy. I love the way he thinks sometimes. This direction would save me from buying a tow rig and trailer, though I will have to insure and get this rig inspected(neither being difficult). That and it will give me the step in between full blown hardcore trail and street. As of yet, I've owned a few stock rigs and wheeled them hard on little trails. I was kind of skipping the whole, street/trail segment of the offroading experience.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

tough call but Dad's are usually right. It would probably have a longer overall wheeling life.

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

is that a full width 14 bolt?

heres my mock up truck with a c&c 14bolt with 275 60's on it(crappy pic)
    but my tires seem to stick out further than yours

your new idea sounds simular to mine. im gona run full width 60/ 14bolt, with the stock 8 lug wheels with 36 12.5 16 tsl sx's

PDRM0197.JPG

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its a 1 ton SRW 14 bolt. They stick out a good 4" on each side with 5.5" of backspacing on the rims.

What are you going to do for rear springs? As i look at it, 56s would be about perfect. Should give me a lift, and will be a few inches longer, in conjuction with a 6 or 8" shackle setup they should be perfect.

My S10 rears measure out to 53.5" sitting with a 203, spare tire, and some other stuff in the back of it.

Thinking maybe some 36" IROKs. They are $25 cheaper per tire than the SXs. But will the SXs last longer....

5. 86chevybanshee

a buddy of mine runs the 36 irocks on his k5, he swears he will never run a different tire.

i was actually gona run the stock rear springs for now, then when i get another DD swap in some 63"s but ill probly end up running 56's, im also gona use 52's up front

the truck im doing the swap on is my dd right now, so this guy at work got a 91 sonoma with 47,000 mile on it( body is junk) to strip the interior out of, so i bought the rest of it for 200$ (running and driving) i basicly bought it for the tbi, it had a 4.3/700r4 in it, well i took the tbi and serpantien belt setup off it and sold the engine for 500$ :D , so im mocking up all the stuff on that and when its all done im gona put the axles under it one weekend and the motor and tranny in it the next weekend

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

If I were you, I'd street/trail it for now. Everyone here knows that projects are never done, so after you've gotten it to the 'street/trail' state, you could slowly start transforming it into the desired truggy you have in mind. Make it streetable/trailable right now, and then as body damage and mechanical damage start taking their tolls, modify. But do it in-such that you keep it driving and 'wheeling the whole time - little projects over a long period of time, and not a complete teardown.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Van wheels have ~1" deeper backspacing than pickups. Swap on dually hubs and you pull in the wheel ~2" per side. (Makes for same wdith as a C&C)

Dually wheels have ~7" backspacing, and so do H1 wheels iirc.

Lots of options ;)

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the C&C housings are narrower than SRW housings.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

No. Check your info. The narrowness resides with the hubs alone.

10. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

id truggy it now, why put money into any in between steps.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i suggest you check your info... i had them sitting side by side in my driveway. that's a whole lot different than reading something on the internet. :rolleyes:

12. 86chevybanshee

i have both a srw and drw c&c 14bolts in my drive way, the c&c's housing is shorter.

dont make me take pictures :D

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If you two fellows have both versions in your driveway and can say this... neither of you have taken them apart and compared dimensions.

You can covert one into the other by moving the backing plate flanges and swapping hubs.

Axle lengths and housing width is the same for a SRW and C&C for the 73-87 trucks.

14. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

keep it a dd

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally not a DD, but it will stay to the street

16. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't do either. Make it an all wheel drive dragster!!!

Got the idea from the floor jack holdin up the front and the big sticky outty rear end.

Yea I know I'm weird. :crazy: