Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

S10 with full width axles

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 7, 2008.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm gathering the parts for my '91 S10 Blazer axle swap. I'd like some pics with full width D60/14 bolt if anyone has them. I'm looking for info on springs and such as well as backspacing on rims and tire sizes. I'll be running H1's with 3.75" backspace and 44's, probably on 52" fronts and 63" rears. :D

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Here is my S10 project. 52"s up front, and coils with 4 link out back. I forget exactly but front axle was at least 6" forward I think. D60 with stock wheels and tires off some 8 lug pickup, so fairly deep backspacing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope these help a little. She is long gone so nothing else I can do. I look weird minus tattoos...

3. TruckNutzDude

It looks like you extended the frame up front a few inches but that gives me a very good idea of how much lift I'll get with my 52" springs. Thanks!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yea, probably extended the frame a good 6" forward as well. Forgot about that. To get the rear spring mount where I wanted it, required that. Problem is the springs fall right about under the frame rail with the full width. So to get a desirable caster angle and not have the rear springs mounting WAY low(read more lift) I had to do that. The shackles mounted on the slope of the frame before it flattened out. Made it sit much lower than the truck would have otherwise. But required the extended front frame. I'd recommend if going with leaf springs, don't use 52" unless you want to go tall. Use like front K5 springs or something like Rancho 44044s. Something shorter so you won't have to extend the frame and kill approach angle. As well if I did it again, I would probably try a front shackle setup, would be easier to stay low and get a good caster angle.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status

You could also use stock S-10 rear springs. They are 52" but center pin is offset, IIRC 2-3". With the axle moved forward 2-3", it puts the rear hanger up inside the framerail.

Check out this thread, lots of info. If I build mine up, it will be setup like this....

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=98928

6. TruckNutzDude

I was thinking of a front shackle to keep it lower. I do have a set of 6" lift front chevy springs, if I can get them up against the frame in the front and between the rails in the rear I might go with that setup. I do need some lift to clear my tires because I'd like to keep my headlights. My reasoning for 52" front springs is that I have them and they are still bolted to my axle from my previous truck (even the mounts are still there).

I've done some searching, has anyone put 44" tires on an s-10? Best I've found so far was 39.5" IROK's. :doah:

7. throttleissues

throttleissues 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My stock rear s-10 springs are 56". That's 26" in the front and 30" in the back, just like a fullsize, but with fewer leaves. Are yours different?
    BTW great link, I was diggin' that build.:D

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status

Everywhere I've read the rears are 52s??? I thought about running the 56s, long side to the rear, puts the shackle farther back on the inside of the frame.

I'm at a standstill with mine for a couple reasons, but should find out tomorrow what the fate of it is...

9. ssyork

ssyork 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't know if you're still looking but here is my junk with full widths. Granted it's a full size frame but you can see how the body and axles look.

normal_IMG_0156.jpg

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Here's mine coming together at JVFab. Don't ask for details for build pics yet....gonna wait until it's completely done to do that. This is more or less a teaser.

[​IMG]

11. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

that's probably one of the cleanest sas s-10s i've seen. i really like the waggy axle aproach. looks proportional to the rig and looks like if flexes just fine

12. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Anymore of these to show off??

13. 496truck

496truck 1/2 ton status

Full width? No. But solid axle, yes.
    This was my first 4x4 build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

nice rig! got any specs on it? what axles did you use? engine/tranny? how was it on the trail? thanks,

jason

15. 496truck

496truck 1/2 ton status

89 S10 4.3 700R NP231HD - This was all stock.

Dana 30 front Dana 35 rear with 4.10s and lockrites in both. They came out of a YJ. I used the factory front axle leaf spring perches springs under the axle. In the rear I cut all the factory brackets off and welded on new ones with springs over the axle.

Rear springs were stock S10 and longer shackles.

Front springs were Toyota 4" lift commonly used for yota solid axle swaps. Vehicle weight between the toys and S10 were similar and those springs worked great and flexed very well. I got them from All Pro Offroad.

I made all the front suspension spring and shackle hangers as well as the upper shock mounts. Front shocks sourced from Autozone by looking through their shock book with measurements. I got lucky, they worked good. Rear shocks were stock S10 Blazer. Just had to relocate the lower shock mounts.

Astrovan 2wd steering box (direct bolt in). Jeep drop pitman arm and all stock YJ steering linkage. Had to cut 1/2" off each end of the drag link and reinserted the rod ends making it the perfect fit.

Worked well on the street even with no sway bars. I was running 33" MTRs and stock jeep steel wheels with 1.5" wheel spacers. Worked really great on the trail, small enough to get in/out of tight spots. Wheelbase seemed perfect (never measured it). Never felt too tall/tippy. I also replaced the rusty rockers with 2x3 square tube, you can see in the pics.

Old vid of it's debut run.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHEYQklwVPU

I sold it to buy the K5 and then a few months later saw it on c-list with a blown motor. Guy was selling it for about as much as I sold it to him for.
    Eventually when I'm tired of the K5, I'll build another one. With links in front instead of leafs, a cage and cut the rear roof off for airflow. Or maybe a pickup.

16. ssyork

nice build. sounds like you put some time into building it, instead of just throwing something together. When you get tired of the k5, sell the body and put an s10 body onto that frame!

17. 496truck

496truck 1/2 ton status

Can't do that here. Tires would stick out too far for the law. I like to build things that can be driven on the street without issue, wheeled on the trails and driven home. Which reminds me, the next one I build will have stronger axles...

18. ssyork

It would take some huge flares to cover them up! We have to drive to get anywhere out here, so the majority of us trailer, atleast to the dirt roads.

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

I prefer axles that fit the rig. i'm not too big of a fan of the s-10 on a full size frame. to me, i like a full size rig to be a full size rig. and an s-10 to stay a s-10, smaller and more trail friendly they having to chop and narrow a full size.

i've owned a few s-10s in the past and like the old square body style. i think they'd make a good trail rig.

i've heard scout or waggy axles are good to use, wider but not as wide as a full size...

20. ssyork

The waggy axles work good. A guy up here runs them on his samurai. They don't hang out as much. After having my full size standard cab truck and beating the crap out of the body every weekend, and having my second kid, I went to the s10 blazer body. I will never go back. The wife loves it, says it is not near as tippy, nice to be able to see better, how close we are to obstacles and such. It is easy to get the kids in and out, I have no complaints at all. But I will never give up the small block, nv4500, or the 1 tons. Full size running gear, with small body is my train of thought. just my 2cents worth.