Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sad Afternonn today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by firefighter184, May 21, 2005.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Well, today is going to suck. I'll be attending funeral services for a great soldier, outstanding fireman, and a good guy. Say a prayer for Todd and his family, if you can guys.

Todd Venette
    Todd James Venette, 35, left this life Saturday, May 7, 2005, in Baghdad, Iraq,
    when two suicide bombers driving cars packed with explosives rammed into his
    U.S. security convoy on a bustling downtown Baghdad street.
    Venette, who would certainly ask you to call him Todd, was a resident of
    Russellville for the past few years. He is the son of Debby and Dennis Casida of
    White Hall and Paul and Anita Venette of Brighton, Colo.
    Todd was born March 7, 1970, in Boulder, Colo., and grew up in Lafayette and
    Louisville, Colo. Starting in the early 1990s, Todd served four years in the
    U.S. Marine Corps in some of the most dangerous parts of Africa. After that
    stint in the military, he moved to Arkansas to join the Russellville Fire
    Department and volunteered as a Deputy Sheriff.
    Todd was fearless and selfless in every aspect of his life, from his days as a
    firefighter, EMT, wrestler and lover of street hockey, to the time he devoted to
    helping kids in the community. Upon moving to Arkansas and learning that no area
    school offered collegiate level wrestling, he and some friends started a
    competitive wrestling program at the Boys and Girls Club. He was a natural,
    compassionate leader and others followed him in work and play.
    When the war in Iraq started, Todd re-enlisted with the Marine Reserves and
    served his country again in combat. When his service was up, he joined one of
    the most respected protective services companies in the world, Fayetteville,
    North Carolina’s CTU Consulting. CTU was founded and led by former Delta Force
    Operator Don Feeney. Quite simply, Todd Venette was loved and respected by some
    of the most elite soldiers in the world.
    He was a good man who loved his country, his family, his friends and his God.
    In addition to his parents, Todd is survived by his brother, Navy Lt. Chad
    Venette of Whidbey Island, Wash.; his sister, Gina Casida and her fiancé, Gordon
    Goolsby, of Redfield; his paternal grandmother, Toots Venette of Louisville,
    Colo.; and his maternal grandparents, Jim and Ruby Graham of Russellville.
    A memorial service with full honors by the Sheriff’s Honor Guard will be
    conducted at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the First Assembly of God in Russellville.
    Police Chaplain Paul Northcut, Pastor Wayne Drain, and Pastor Shane Casper will
    officiate. Service arrangements are under the direction of Shinn Funeral Service
    of Russellville.
    Pallbearers include:
    Active — Members of the Russellville Fire Department, Mark Signor, Charlie
    Austin, James Pipes, Ed Lloyd, Brent Hamm, Kurt McBryde and Kyle Green.
    Honorary — The remainder of the Russellville Fire Department; members of the
    Pope County Emergency Medical Services; the Pope County Sheriffs Department; the
    Russellville Police Department; and the Wild Pigs Motorcycle Club, Razorback
    Chapter.
    Friends may pay their respects at the funeral home from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. In
    lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be made to the Cross and
    Shield Ministries, in care of the Rev. Paul Northcut, Post Office Box 3256,
    Russellville, Arkansas 72811-3256.

Todd1.jpg

Todd2.jpg

2. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

I wish I could join you at the service.

My prayers to Todd, his family, and his friends.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Semper Fi and God's Speed. He is a credit to all.

John

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

a moment of silence.......................................................................... :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag:

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my prayers

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

brings a tear to ones eye. :usaflag:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed.

i've got a buddy who is in the litterbox right now, just heard from him a few minutes ago. hearing stuff like this really makes me worry about him at times.

RIP Todd :usaflag:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

R.I.P. Hero...

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend..my prayers are with his family and friends..We lost a neighbor to violence in Iraq also..its very sad to know his widow and kids will never see him alive again.. :frown1:

I lost the 2 best friends I ever had to heart disease 11 years ago,when they were only 36 years old as well..nothing has impacted my life more than their loss,even my dads passing...you dont expect an older person to live forever,but when someone dies that young,it really makes you wonder how long it will be before its YOUR turn to die---and if you are living your life the way you dreamed of,or are simply stuck in an endless rut..

It changed me a lot when they passed away..now I live each day like its my last--because in todays crazy world,chances are it just might BE the last!..I take more chances,go do things I normally would not have--and place family and quality of life over work and wealth...does not make my employers happy,but you have to have a LIFE too,not just a job.. :crazy:

9. firefighter184

Thanks for the support gang. It was a beautiful service, with fire, police and Marine Corps honor guards. When that Marine walked down and gave Todd's mom the flag, I pretty much lost it right there. Then, when the piper played Amazing Grace, I lost it again. Then when the Corps gave him a 21 gun salute and played Taps, I lost it again. Hard day, but inspiring. If I can one day be considered half the man Todd Venette was, I'll be a happy man.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You are!

You are not only half the man your friend was...your TWICE the man I'll ever be,if your a firefighter!...I salute you! :thumb:

11. firefighter184

Thanks man. I don't know what else to say. My wife would say I'm "half a man". Seriously though, thanks for the kind words.