Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sad day for Missouri Jeepers - Jeep crash in Coloroado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I know this is not a Jeep site, but just want to make people aware of the dangers we face when wheeling. If you haven't invested in a top notch cage, you should consider it your very next mod.

Make sure to tie it into the frame as well.

Heres info in the Denver Post. These were Jeepers belonging to a large Club based out of St. Louis. My condolences to their families and friends.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2298611,00.html

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    From the Denver Post:

Jeep falls 200 feet down cliff; two dead
    Two people were killed Tuesday afternoon when a Jeep with Missouri plates left the road on Black Bear Pass and tumbled down a cliff, authorities said.

The accident occurred about 4 p.m. in unincorporated San Miguel County. In heavy rain, the Jeep, heading west, was negotiating steep switchbacks down the mountain when it left the road and rolled at least 200 yards down the side of the mountain, said San Miguel sheriff's Sgt. Michael Westcott.

Colorado State Patrol officials were investigating the crash late Tuesday and did not identify the dead male and female, pending completion of the investigation and family notification. The victims have a large extended family on the Front Range, officials said.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks...

Rene

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

What's really sad dispite their fate, was the fact that other Missouri Jeepers were sort of looking for them because the police had stopped by their house questioning neighbors if they had seen them. They had some brief hope that they might still be alive, but later found out via the news post.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i couldnt find the story on there.

Thats too bad... I read another post on pirate about a Jeep rollin in arizona... sad stuff.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

IIRC, that trail is narrow and winding. It scared the [darn] out of my in-laws.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just saw the post on pirate... thats too bad.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I haven't been on that trail but have been on others like it, that's to bad.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

very sad news indeed. Tim had a close call with his truck on Saturday, although he swears "it wasnt as bad as it seemed. going downhill with 6' of air under the left rear, and your right front sinking into a crevice is bad news. we both discussed it on the way home, and we're both putting cages in.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Sad day for Missouri Jeepers - Jeep crash in Coloroado *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

a sad loss to the wheeling comunity, were theses nw to the seane? like was the truck more or less stock or were there two in it for a long time and [darn] just happened....
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i too have been over Black Bear, it was mine and my fathers first wheeling trip in CO with his jeep. He lives in Pagosa, i will have to forward this to him. After running Black Bear first we discussed the fact it would have been nice to know that it is a fairly dangerous trail, on the way back we took Ophir pass.. since would couldnt have run Black Bear the other way we would have missed it. It has started sprinkling while we were up there and started pouring as we reached the bottom. We didnt see the people behind us come down, hopefully they were smart enough to stop... sad news though.... i know on one of the passes we took, either Black Bear or Ophir there was a long shale rock incline, that was supposedly 2 way but if you met oncoming traffic there are small out crops to attempt to pull out of the way. At the bottom there was what was left of a car/truck of some sort that was rusting away, no telling how long it had been there. The roll it took was certainly nothing compared to rolling down Black Bear. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Very sad indeed...

I ran black bear last year in my 79... don't think i'll ever do it again in something that big...

A person in the group with us had driven the trial numerous times for a tour outfit...from a jeep to a burb he said...and it was nice to have someone like that spot me down the switchbacks...hugging the rock face sucks the most as you can not see the cliff..

DW

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Sad day for Missouri Jeepers - Jeep crash in Coloroado *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

14. prerunner1982

in fact i have a movie done about some trails in that general area, including Black Bear. In the group of mostly Jeeps, there was a 1st gen blazer. As they are on the switchbacks a yellow topless sub comes down behind them. I thought they were crazy.

15. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Rubicon
    Grade: 32 Percent!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Weather: Raining
    Horizontal distance vehicle traveled: over 800 feet
    Vertical distance vehicle traveled: over 400 feet

OK this goes on the trails not to do in the Jimmy.
    Officer on scene chose to walk instead of riding on the back of ATV's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. prerunner1982

Here is an Article from the Telluride Daily Planet.

A vacationing couple from Missouri was killed Tuesday evening when their Jeep slipped off Black Bear Pass and rolled more than 900 feet down a steep slope. Both were pronounced dead at the scene at 7 p.m., according to a report from the Colorado State Patrol.

The victims, Vern A. Huntington, 50, and his wife, Susan A. Huntington, 51, of Saint Peters, Mo., slid off Black Bear Pass road while taking a left hand turn on one of the switchbacks above the top of falls at about 4:15 p.m., police said. The couple was descending the steep mountain road in a soft-top Jeep Wrangler when the accident occurred. Neither was wearing a seatbelt and both were eventually ejected from the vehicle, suffering multiple traumatic head and chest injuries, according to a report from county coroner Bob Dempsey.

Police said there was no clear cause for the accident, though a recent rainstorm made the road somewhat slick Tuesday afternoon.

The actual cause, "is probably just always going to be a guess," said Mike Westcott of the San Miguel County Sheriff's Office, who responded to the scene.

Westcott said the first call about the accident came into the Sheriff's Office a little after 4 p.m. from another driver on the road who had seen the Jeep roll by in his rearview mirror.

Police were on the scene by just after 4:30 p.m., and the Search and Rescue team was scrambled to help locate and treat the victims.

Because neither passenger was in the vehicle when police arrived, an immediate search began for accident victims, while rescuers waited for confirmation on how many people were in the Jeep when it crashed, Westcott said.

Vern Huntington was found where he was ejected from the vehicle about 100 feet from where it left the road; Susan was later found to have been ejected about 50 feet from where it came to rest, on its roof and back on the road approximately 930 feet down the hill, according to police and coroner's reports. There were no other travelers with the Huntingtons.

The Jeep was "totally crushed," according to Dempsey's report.

SAR team leader Eric Berg said a lack of information on how many passengers were in the vehicle originally complicated operations for the rescuers, who performed a "safe but aggressive grid search," of the area, looking for victims.

Berg said his volunteer rescue team worked valiantly on the slick hillside Tuesday in what were considered extremely tough circumstances.

"They performed magnificently, as usual," he said.

Though Black Bear Pass road is in places exceedingly steep and narrow, especially in a pitched rock section above Ingram Falls referred to as "The Stairs," fatal car accidents on it are rare, and there has not been a fatality in recent memory, police said.

If you would like to read it yourself heres the link. http://www.telluridegateway.com/articles/2004/07/28/news/top_stories/news01.txt

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    That's some sad news /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jeep slipped off Black Bear Pass and rolled more than 900 feet down a steep slope.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Some how I don't think that any cage would help you with a fall like that. They didn't have there seat belts on and should have bailed if possible /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.