Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sad day, sold the Cuda

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrk5, Aug 4, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We had to sell our prized possession, the '71 Cuda. We bought it in '97 in Virginia.

We listed it in the Denver Post. The ad came out in today's paper and we had it sold by 8AM; the guy had called at 5:50AM. We haven't had less than 20 calls on it today, one from as far as Michigan.

Two good things come out of it $14,000 to pay off some bills and some extra money for the K5.

Here's some pics for those of you curious:
    Click-->71 Cuda

I think this is what they call bittersweet.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

That sucks. A buddy of mine in High School had that exact car minus the black paint on the side. Same orange, same white top. 383 that was built up and that bank stick tranny. I loved that car and always wanted one. Although, I would prefer the 426 hemi. There was a lime green 426 hemi Cuda sitting for sale many years back during the gas crisis and nobody would touch it. Now I could kick myself for not picking it up back then for a song.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hey Scott, it'll pass.

I sold mine in 1994, I don't miss it anymore. It was fast in a straight line (440) but handled like a pig on corners.

Ha, I even had the same style dunlops.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I do have a small soft spot for Mopars , Dad had Chargers and trucks .

Was that an original survivor car , and just touched up on the black billboard on the quarters ?

Must of been fun , I would miss it .

5. mrk5

Yeah, with that hemi it would sell for a lot more than ours did. A lot of books will list a hemi car as "priceless". I think that means you have to pay whatever the seller is asking and be happy you even found an original hemi car.

A fellow Mopar muscle car guy huh. Never woulda guessed. I think Mopar had the best MUSCLE cars.

Well, the only thing that made it possible was that we had kinda stopped playing with it much. It had sat in the garage pretty much untouched for the most part of a year.

The last thing I did was to rebuild the entire frontend with PST polygraphite suspension components and that really tightened up the frontend. But you hear a lot about them being too loose in the rearend for much cornering.

I think the ideal setup would be something like the AARs with the 340 (six pack would be awesome). Not so front heavy like they are with the big block.

I'm hoping some day to find a regular 72-74 Barracuda and make it into a Cuda clone. Drop in a nice new Magnum 360 with EFI and possibly a 6speed manual tranny. Restoring a cuda is expensive and you really have to think hard about modifying a rare car.

6. mrk5

The first owner was in a fender bender and the rear quarter had to be replaced. You must know your cudas, because most wouldn't know the billboards were wrong. They are actually supposed to be vinyl appliques. There should be a 1" bit of orange all the way around the rear fender opening. The one on our car had been painted on.

I love the billboards by the way. Nothing says "this car is fast" better than a big ol' 383 on the door (or 440 or Hemi)

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sorry to hear of its departure... it was a bada$$ car... :(

i had quite a few of the early 70's mopars as you might remember.... my fave ever being my 340 Cuda... best hotrod quarters ever... well, till i wrapped it... :(

[​IMG]

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Ryoken, I've never seen anyone that beats the **** out of themselves like you. We should x-ray your carcass just to see what's left. :D

Scott I'll have to send you pics of my 71, all I ever drove was mopar. Restored them since I was 16. Had a nice 70 Coronet 500 too. Now I've got a 383 70 Sport Satellite waiting for restoration, that's where most of my garage space is. It's a rare coded p6xy gold/black Gator top car. Very few made.

I'll always have a Mopar of some kind.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

haha... actually i walked away from that with 2 stitchs in the head... shoulda been dead... now skating, he!! yeah... prolly broken about 50 bones...

my buddy had a nice 71 440 sattelite... i always ran W-2 340 stuff.. never had a BB... :(

more Mopar stuff... wish i had pics of my Challengers...
    [​IMG]

that Duster was quick... 340 3 spd manual, 6 pack scoop, blah, blah... built the PowerWagon in about 83.. 340, 4 spd, 35's on 4"...

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Dusters are actually a lot of fun to drive. Nice pics!

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I feel ya. I am about to sell my 71 duster. Sooo much time and money, Just not into it now. Built 360, Aluminum heads,TTI headers. Wilwoods at 4 corners, 8 3/4 posi. I've driven it 20 miles in the last 2 years. Now it just sits. Don't want to sell it but don't want to keep it anymore either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here are some of the Mopars I use to have. The last white one on the trailer is my current project.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The rest.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine just paid 28 grand for a 68 440 coronet R/T - It was repainted, the rest was stock. Car had about 30,000 miles on it, very clean.

Point is, if you gotta sell your mopar, don't be scared to ask stupid money for it.. the buyers are out there.. I saw people buying junk for outrageous amounts at the recent mopars at carlisle show.

Tom

15. pauly383

I like the '70 . I almost bought a '70 Satellite for 800 bucks when I was 17 , but ended up buying a rusty 69 Chevelle :D

I know where a whole yard full of cars are , all rotting in the AZ sun , and the owners are going to let them rot . Right next door to my friends house . There is a actual 70 Roadrunner there , with the cartoon graphics and all , a 442 , two Mercury Cyclones , ones a Spoiler , some stangs , a Chevy II , all rotting because SOMEDAY they will get restored :(

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

thats a sin....

I hate people who "collect" rare muscle cars,only to let them sit until they are junk!--I see it all the time around here!..I knew of a NICE 69 GTO years ago,I had one just like it,same color,motor,etc--but the other one was a 4speed..I approached the owner many times asking if he'd sell it--every time I was chased away!!..it sat for many years in the same spot--soon all the tires dry rotted off of it,it sat right on the ground,with huge weeds growing over it...

One day not that long ago,I had to do an errand in that town near where the car was--I thought "there is NO way that GTO is still there"..so I drove by,and to my suprise,it was finally gone!--a guy was watering the fresh loam where the car used to be--

I approached him,and asked if the GTO that was there is still around?...he said "no,I just bought this place a few months ago,the previous owner was sick and in a nursing home,despite only being in his early 50's...he died shortly after I bought the house from a stroke,and I had let the guy leave the car here until he could arrange to have it moved elsewhere..his brother came and said he would get rid of the car for me,he said he wanted to restore it in his brothers memory...but when the ramp truck tried to move it,the frame broke in several places,and dirt came up thru the floor!!..so the brother ended up selling it for 300 bucks for parts to the ramp truck driver!...what a waste of a nice GTO! :doah: :angry1:

I've seen countless other examples as well--69 Camaro's,Chevelle's,Olds 442's,Road Runners,etc,sit in someones garage all dissasembled for years,and never get rebuilt,but sold off at swap meets--or they leave them outside with no nose on the car,and in 5 years its scrap iron..often its a 16 year old kid a father buys a car for as a "father/son" project,but dad works too much to spend any time fixing it with Jr,or Jr. wants a 2005 Mustang GT,not an old rusty "muscle car" antiquue!..but offer to buy it,and they either refuse to sell,or want outrageous money for it,despite being half rotted or in peices! :doah: :surepal: :screwy: ...I hate seeing cars and trucks getting wasted!... :( :mad:

Oh well,at least in Arizona they wont rot away as fast as here!... :rolleyes:

Nice Duster BTW!--dont see many of those around here anymore!.. :(

17. pauly383

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I pulled that 383 Sport Satellite out of the Alabama woods. Actually the guy hooked up a backhoe to the rear leaf spring to get it out. That's about the worst thing I've ever cleaned, my garage smelled like mold for 2 months. Kudzu is weird chit.

Paid 900.00 and drove a long way to get it but the car has a very rare color code. Once restored it will be worth a decent amount.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

now I'm really depressed!

WOW!...I cried looking at some of those pictures!--didn't know they had a whole website devoted to rotting muscle cars!...same sad story all over the USA...they say they are going to restore them,but many of them are way beyond restoration....reminds me of the junkyard I worked at,that had mostly cars from the 50's,60's and 70's they just crushed out and closed up.. :(

sadly,many of the few that dont rot away get crushed because they have lost the title,or never paid sales taxes,and the fines amount to more than the car is worth!...what a shame!.. :doah: :(

I saw a picture of a 69 GTO "Judge",and its on page GM92,its a beige one--after clicking on the picture,I saw several more "Judges" in a feild!...and a 69 Firebird from PA,that looks like the one Sled Dog's father has!(he posted photos of it here long ago!)--wonder if its his!?? :confused: :crazy:

20. pauly383

I see more and more people actually restoring the more rotted cars now , as they are drying up fast in supply .

Easy as ordering a catalogue ...... damn I wish I had money :D