Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

saddle tanks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudfanatic, Mar 16, 2000.

1. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I am going over to NW Metal Products tomorrow, Hopefully someone will have the info I need before I head out in the morning. Q:what years of blazers have rocker boxes? are there any that have smaller boxes than others? I know that '73-'81 are all the same my questions aor for above '81.
    how many of you are interested in saddle tanks? Custom tanks are more expensive but I am going to try to get a price cut for a quanity order.
    Are sending units a must for you guys on saddle tanks, mine don't have sending units and I feel that for saddle tanks it's not that important.
    what year did they start putting pumps in the tanks?I won't need that answer just yet.
    I am going to discuss a heave duty steel bottom on these tanks so they can handle rock sliding (like mine)[​IMG]
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

2. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

It's my understanding that they started putting fuel pumps in the tanks when they switched over to fuel injection, so that would mean that 87 was the first year for pumps in the tanks. Of course, if I'm wrong and someone's going to correct me, so whatever...
    As for sending units, if I go with the saddle tank setup, I would like one, since if I go with saddle tanks, I am going to get rid of my primary tank (to replace it with a under the bed tire rack.)
    Thanks for looking into this for us.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

69-76 and possibly 77 had the boxes. The actual floor in the 2nd gen blazer changed in 78 to a lower floor. The boxes were mostly for the roadster K5's but I have seen 76's with the boxes even through they had a roof.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. mudfanatic

here's the scoop, $400.00 each side, and after the breather vent is put in the tanks will hold 13 gallons each. NWMP will not name stamp the tanks for liability reasons (they'll be outside of the framerails). I will have to pull off one of my tanks so they can measure everything to find the best place for the breather cap and fuel gage, for this reason I hope that if amybody puts in an order there is more than one of you who will as I really don't want to pull one of my tanks off but I will for more than one of you[​IMG]
    '77 K5

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I think it's great that you're looking into the saddle tanks and I'm very interested. However, $400 seems too high for a metal box. Does that include hardware to secure them to the vehicle? How about the filler hose?(and where does that go?) Do they have baffles to keep fuel from sloshing? Just a curious consumer.

the Goose

Added 03/17 05:00
    Thanks for the added information. Sounds good.

6. mudfanatic

This place builds gas tanks so I'm sure that they will have baffles, The filler neck would be in front of the rear wheels angled upward- mine are that way and are very easy to fill. The guy that I talked with said they use 14 gage galvanized steel, he could have said 12 gage but I'd have to call and ask again. There is a mounting tab on the front of the tank that mounts to a crossmember and a rod through the tank hanging from somthing above the tank, I am not sure if these would be included in the cost or not I can check and see.
    The reason the cost is so high is because these would be a custom job, If I could get a lot of people interested we might get the cost down a little
    '77 K5