Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Safari Rack, who makes them, how do they attach?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock454, Oct 22, 2002.

1. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

I want a super strong rack that doesn't bolt to the rain gutter on above the doors. Does anyone make something like this? Anyone have good pictures of different racks?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Every company that makes racks has a provison for simply bolting to the roof.
    Some of the brands out there are
    Conferr
    Wilderness
    Yamika{sp}
    Think Leer has one now also.
    and several more. Conferr and Wilderness has the racks that are most suted to wheelers. They have High lift mounts and shovel brackets and even Jerry can brackets available.
    If your going to bolt to a fiberglass hard top I would recomend going as close as to can to the edge as possible and putting a backing plate. The fiberglass hard top is the easy part. The hard top is the hard one. The roof is double pannel and no cross bracing because it is such a small area. You would have to cut holes into the inner pannel or use sheet mat screws. There would be a big chance of dents forming under the mounting points. I think you would be better going to the rain gutter if it's going to be on the cab section. It would be a stronger mounting location.
    Many manufactours also sell brackets that mimic the rain gutter that can be bolted onto the Fiberglass shell. The gain is if you need it off for some reason you can take it off quickly without worry of leaks and then put it back on just as quickly. Or you could pop the basket off and put a standard set of cross racks on for hauling Ply wood or ladders. It would be the most universal set up.

3. bigblock454

how strong is the fiberglass top? Do I have to worry about drilling holes in it? I think if that is no problem I will weld up my own rack and make some kind of quick release bracket that is sealed to the top.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm 215lb and I have walked on my hard top. The center is weak but the edges are very strong. If you look from the inside you want to mount as close as you can to where the inner pannel bonds to the roof. If you can mount right where there is that 1 inch or so wide part where it is double thick that would be the ticket.
    Somebody here did a trick set up and made a plate that is andwiched between the hard top on the bed rail. Then he bent up some tube and attached it to the plate and used that to suport his rack. That way he could run the rack with or without the hard top. I have thought about doing something like that with my truck. I like the look but previously my truck would just make it in the garage. Well now it doesn't fit at all so I May go for it to help protect the soft top from branches. Put a couple honker lights on the front and a couple lights off the rear.

5. bigblock454

That is good info, thanks. Use a standard drill bit to drill through the fiberglass?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I want a Safari rack with a soft top. Now that would be the kewlest !!!!!

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have a Con Ferr rack. Came with expanding rubber nuts. Drilled down 1/2" - forget what size bit - stuck in the nuts, bolted the rack down. Drills very easily. The rack's really snug. I've bounced the truck around quite a bit (mild trails, but didn't see the tooth jarring bumps fast enough), and ran it under a fair amount of brush with no problems.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I just finished one for an s-10 blazer, I've been thinking of making one for my truck now. He wanted a rack that could hold a few people along with gear. The roof itself wasn't strong enough so we used plates outside and inside the truck that were braced to the substructure of the frame and reused the previous stock rack holes, it even sealed up nicely. It worked great and replaced his cheezy stock rack. You could easily run bars up the edges of the inside of the fiberglass top to build support for a roof rack all the way down to the top of the bed on the larger blazers.

Take a look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bigblock454

that is perfect! I think I will make something like for mine.

Thanks

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That one was 1" .120 wall tube but you could step down on the sidewall and retain enough strength while shedding some weight. Just keep the supports a little closer together. Remember that adding weight that high on the vehicle will raise your center of gravity and effect body roll in corners. I woudn't suggest running anything over a 35 on top.
    Good Luck!