Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Safari Rack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok lets see your set ups! Give me some more Ideas.

Well I'm doing some more outfitting on my Burb last week and this weekend. Thought I would show what I was planning on doing. The Burb is going to be a Land Tug for our Land Yacht (1959 Airstream Caravanner). We plan to do some cross country runs and sometimes boon dock. Burb is almost the perfect tow rig EXCEPT nowhere to put stuff you don't want inside. We plan to get a Honda EU2000 Generator (small 26lb) and the last thing I want is something with Gas inside the truck or camper. We are also going to bring our Bikes. It's not a good idea to hang bikes on the back of the campper. It's not designed to have that extra weigh back there bouncing. Sure don't want 4 bikes blocking my head lights. So the roof they will go. I have some Bike racks that will be attached and are quick release.

Being up front is temporary. I bought the rack used for a good price. Kargo Master Serengeti It has 4 light brackets as well as shovel, axe and highLift mount. Burb won't need the High Lift so may put those brackets up for sale. The rack came off a Trooper and was gutter mounted. I didn't have anyplace to store the monster so I went ahead and put it on. This weekend I'll be getting some Roof Rack C-Channel to bolt to the roof and move it over the back. That way I can stand on the gate and load.

Once it's moved back I'll start insalling some other stuff. The CB antenna is getting moved to the rack. I may also try to make a way to hang my GPS mag mount on there to keep it off the paint. There will be some more lights put up there. On both side some trim line Hologens for utility lights for the side. Set of lights on the rear that will come on with the Reverse lights or switch.

Still trying to decide if those Hella Rallye 1000's [​IMG] Cannon's in the grill are moving up there. As the law is writen, roof lights are illegal to run on the street and are supose to be covered. Well it's legal to run them in the grill where I have them mounted. Those are going to be wired to come on with the high beams because my headlights suck!

Still working out the electrical on this mess. Some of the lighting will be simple on off like the side lights. The front driving and Cannons are going to be set up so when on low the Driving lights are on and turn off on High beam and the Cannons come on. I also want a override so I can turn them on. So that is going to take 2 relays, 1 double pole double throw and two single pole and single throw. The reverse set up will olaso be wired simular and require two switches to work. So just what is going on for sure I am up too 7 switches. If I add some lights on the front of the rack add one or two more. I also will be putting in some overhead map lights so I think I'll put those switches easy to reach with the rest.
    I may put some less expensive lights up top for cosmetic reasons. I'm not sure I would run them often. Getting a lot of load on the electrical system as it is. With the camper charging and the camper running lights, Dual A/C and those 200 watts worth of cannons I'm about maxed out on the 105 amp alternator.

Yeah them uggly caps have to go. I'm trying to find some 02 up 8 lug GM mags. I like the style and I think they will look good on the older tin.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

here is mine. I used shelving strips from hardware store to mount. They are low profile so the rack sits tight to top. I like the look. It is drilled in four places and mounted with grade 8 bolts.

[ [​IMG]

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my Garvin setup. I like it. It can pack alot of wieght too.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

not meaning to hijack it or anything, but can anyone recomend a good removeable rack? my garage is only 7 feet tall and so is my truck, so i need every inch. Thanks

5. Grim-Reaper

If your just looking for a rack for stuff like ply wood and matresses then I would get some inexpensive bars and add a couple of those brackets like the burb above has on the shell. Leer store should have what you need.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'm lookin for an actaull rack... like the width of the k5's roof, the lenght of it and 4-6 inches tall. or some comparable shape. so when i drive to the camp/offroad site i can store my stuff on top and not in it. thanks though

7. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm lookin for an actaull rack... like the width of the k5's roof, the lenght of it and 4-6 inches tall. or some comparable shape. so when i drive to the camp/offroad site i can store my stuff on top and not in it. thanks though

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the rack I had on my 87 Burb.... Wilderness Rack I think it measured about 4' x 7' x 6" tall. Very sturdy. I could do jumping jacks on it no prob. I think the roof would cave in before the rack would overload.

8. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is a 6 inch. In the center where the roof curves up it's got about 2 inches of clearence where the burb stps up. The K5 doesn't step up so it would clear by about 4 or go with a shorter mount. Look up some postes from SkiGirl. She had some posts where she used some HD door inches to mount her rack. Sits real tight to the rood. Looks good.

My Rack is 52 inches wide. I would say Tomseviltwin is 54 maybe 56. You can see where it centers.

I will tell you this....I will never put his on my trail truck where I wheel. It snags everything. It's the reason I got it so cheap. The guy that had it was tired of snagging branches. Remeber that Orance chevy truck used in the BFG adds for a long time? It had the fiberglass shell and a rack. They snagged the rack at Tellico at Dixie run. It ripped the shell off the truck and screwed the bed rails all up. That's why it wasn't on there when that truck was on Trucks. My buddy still has the rack off that truck. He put it on His K5. I am pretty sure he kept the rack when he sold the truck.

9. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

here's the one that used to be on my rig and is currently for sale

[​IMG]

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

mine is removealbe. The raingutter plates would stay because the holes are drilled in the top, but mounting brackets could just screw off. look at the mounting picture. My rack is 60" x 84" (5'x7') For the burb I would go longer if I had the choice. I love this rack. It can hold up to 500lbs no problem. Thats alot of gear