Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

safari snorkel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Elmer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

Im looking for a comany that makes snorkels for chevy it would seem the company safari snorkels is a non chevy fan !!!!! as they do not make any for chevy, but make them for all other makes of vehicle factory's
    i do not want to build one my self as it would look home made but its probaly
    what ill do, as I need to cross rivers an such to get to the good trails, hehe...i want to put it on my 1975 k-5 hybred truck, im currently installing
    1-ton axels, an np 205 t-case, an my 1996 corvette engine an trans, as every one likes fuel injection and over drive.

p.s. any one know of an adapter to fit a 4L60 e trany to 205 t-case

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Search for the snorkel info. That one has been beat to death.

I think mating a 4L60E to a 205 would be the same as a TH700r4 but I'm not possitive. Try searching for that too.

3. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

thanx 4 the reply

I knew id plobaly have to build my own snorkel system i just wonderd what
    every one els had to do the same i guess ill have to work on makeing a mold,
    an melt down those left over 2 liter soda bottles, hehe

thanx 4 the info on the t-case adapter as you are right same bolt patters on those 2 trannies

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

FJ80 IIRC is a almost perfect fit for the snorkel

5. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

very cool

thanx for the info ill see if i can get one then sart the mod.
    thank you for the reply :)

6. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Noooo! Don't waste a beloved LT1 on off roading! I want to cry, my vette in the driveway holds its head in shame. Poor thing. You hurt her feelings.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

mmmm safari fj-80 fits a chevy like a glove....
    got it from 4x4connection.com for about $300 to my door.. then a few parts from home depot = $321.... I like it...

only thing I didnt do yet is the bracket that attaches the top to the cab... is too short.. need to make something up myself... it also pulls closer to the cab once I put that piece on.....

I have 1/4" clearance when I open the door.... almost like it was meant to be....

installing wasnt hard.. had to cut a hole in the fender though... inside of fender to get arm all the way back there... also needed a rachet style box wrench tht i bought from Sears.... as you cant fit a rachet in there and it is soooo tight.....

any q's or closer pics lemme know.... :wink1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Do you find the snorkel sticks out too far? Are you worried on tight trails, or has the snorkel not been an issue?

My friend runs a snorkel on his J*ep, he has it on the drivers side so he can keep an eye on it. He said a leaf got blown into the grille of the snorkel, and it lost enough air to nearly stall the engine until he was able to reach out and pull it off. Have you found any problems like that?

I have all the parts, minus the snorkel istelf, to make a decent install. I just didnt want to cut the fender until I was sure I wanted it.

Does the snorkel hurt any of your performance? My Blazer will be a semi-dd, and dont want to lose what little mpg I have already.

I just feel after all the work putting the snorkel on, it might have been better to just lift it higher, or not get into that deep of water.

Any thoughts on those points?

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i havent gotten the oppertunity to really wheel my truck.... i am not planning on tight trails... i wanna keep my body in good condition. I basically figured since I cant run rockwells and 53's legally on nj roads... (YET)... so i had to go detroits front and back.... lower lift and 40's = need breather higher... mine isnt water proofed as i didnt glue the pipes together.... i want it for that mudhole.. where the bottom may drop out and you hammer it and get out...

plus my wife told me to spend the extra cash as she didnt wanna see pvc going through the fender.. she likes this look better...

:bow: wife :bow:

a guy/gal on njfourwheelers put pvc from their aircleaner... through firewall into cab then through the cab roof..... how ya like that :haha:

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Hijack...
    How do you waterproof the dist??
    Hijack off

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

for the trans to that transfer case you will need to find out what the tail housing looks like. The older 4L60-E's had a four bolt pattern like the TH350 the newer ones have a removable bellhousing and a tail houing that is like the one on the TH 400. If it is a 2wd tranny you will have to change the output shaft nomatter what. You can then go with short shaft and just bolt up the factory mount or you can go with a normal 4x4 shaft and use a spacer

13. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

very nice

wow thanx for the info an pic's it looks like thats what ill end up doing,
    it looks awsome on your rig, those are great photos....

thanx again

14. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

hehe

my vette had an accedent an is totalted the only thang left is the engine an
    trans, ive already put the same type of engine in my 56 chevy sadan delivery
    so the hot rod is done, now itstime to get my k5 to xtream altitudes, an
    fuel injection is the only way for relibality( it wont shut off tell I tell it to)
    besides I go out alot to verious spots an rejetting gets old...

thanx for the reply :

15. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

not a problem

all you have to do is take some old widow screen off the houes, and
    pull the top of the snorkel off an zip tie the screen around the bottom and re
    install no trash in the snorkel that way pluss you can pack some steel wool
    in the inside of the top before the screen an nothing can get in to it, if something els goes through by chance the air filter will be shure to stop it.
    an if you want to be realy safe replace the intake gaskets with torque screens found in the jegs catolog" which will also atomise fule for better fuel milage an more off road torque

16. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

thats what my wife said to

no home made crap on any thang shes going to be sitting in, lookes like
    im going to addapt to fj80 snorkel my self

17. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

cool

thanx for the links

18. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I would really like to know...

19. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

sweet

thanx for the info i have my own small junk yard to pull parts from so should not be an issue on parts to come up with, but it is a 2 wheel drive 4l60-e an im going to mount it to an 1983 t-case off a manuel trans suburban w/
    is also where im getting the axles from...
    thanx again

20. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

ive seen dist- boots

ive seen some dist-boot's for sale a few years ago- if there not availbale any more you can take an old dist. an put the cap an coil on it spray it with mold release an dip it with rubber tool&parts dip found at any harbor frieght store, keep in mind youl have to dip it a few times to get it thick enough, then after its been dipped, cut away from the base of dist. then roll it off the top ( being carefull not to tare it ) youl have to use some diffrent bolt's in the prosses of dippeng, for the cap to dist. I would use mechine screws with acron nuts so the new boot will not snag on removal of the junk dist. an make shure you have the whole thang coverd in mold release or when you remove the
    new boot it will stick an then tare off., i used to have a few baja bugs and thats how ive water proofed them, you will also want to use either M.S.D. wire set or an accel set, so the new wire's seal aswell, it be a bear to put them on but use the supplyed wire lube with the wires an youl be fine,

p.s. you might have to trim the new boot for wire clearance but the wires will seal it back up, once there on they do not like to come back off,
    then when its time to put it on use white lithem grease on the dist. to make it easy to install the boot (lithem grease is non conductive an non crosive)
    an will not enter fear with the arc of the dist...