Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

safari top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mtsmail, Dec 11, 2002.

1. mtsmail

mtsmail Registered Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Has anyone got an original General motors factory option
    Safari soft top? I know they were available for Gm as a factory option in 1980. Probably more years howver not sure.
    I have been trying to find one with no luck. I am going to have one fabbed however I need some technical info about them please mtsmail@shaw.ca /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    This gets complicated quickly.

By "safari" top, do you mean a canvas (or similar material) soft-top that goes in place of the hard top?

Safari tops sometimes refer to a soft-top which has no sides or rear -- it's ONLY the top part, with of course a frame to hold it up.

Anyway, I know for sure that GM offered a factory soft-top for 1977. I am looking at their advertisement on my wall at the moment -- it also advertises the short-lived Blazer Chalet camper option, which is my fixation. I do not know how long this option was offered. (In earlier years, the soft-tops were a *dealer* option, purchased aftermarket through an agreement with GM ... but GM didn't actually make them or distribute them per se.)

You might look through the sales brochures for the Blazers on

Which will show you when GM advertised the soft-top stuff. This may help some, as there are also pictures.

I would point out that you can get soft-tops, with sides that roll up into "safari" tops, from any number of aftermarket companies now -- Bestop, Specialty Top (formerly Kayline), and Can-Back all spring to mind. Let me know if you need URL's or contact info for any of these.

-- A
  3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Dec 28, 2001
    According to sales literature, GM offered Factory Soft-tops from '69-'81.
    From '69-75 you could even get a K5 Blazer with niether the soft or hard-tops or a passenger seat!
  4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Feb 17, 2000
    Unless you have an industrail sewing machine your going to be hard pressed to have one made for much less that it cost to buy one.
    This is the STC Fasttrac. The windows zip out so you can run it as a Safari top and the way my truck stays most of the time in the summer.
    You can buy those here. OffCamber4x4 That is this sites sister site and if you a member (orange) you get discounts.