Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Safe front blocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MadIrish, Sep 26, 2001.

1. MadIrish

MadIrish Registered Member

Ok, I know the potential dangers to having front blocks. What I was wondering was: Say you made some front blocks, say 3 inches, made them about 2 inches wider and deeper, drilled holes in the corners of the block for the U-bolts to come through and installed them. Wouldent the U-bolts keep them in place and you wouldent need to worry about one falling off?

*******82 K5 All stock but wheels and tires, 305 4bbl, tranny? NP208*******

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Good question.

I have wondered that myself too.

I think that question would be best left for Stephen to give you the proper reply.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, No!
    I would stick with what is provin to work, springpacks ONLY.
    If you are trying to save money it ain't worth it!!!
    even if you have to save the change in your pocket for a year to get the right parts! I would hate to hear the story of you loosing your front end cusz your homemade lift failed on you!
    Just say NO to blocks!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Just say NO to blocks!

<hr></blockquote>
    Unless they are Block parties!!!!

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

5. MadIrish

MadIrish Registered Member

While I tend to agree, I have to ask myself why. I know there is a major bad vibe when it comes to front blocks but I cant figure out if the idea is unsound or if it's sound, but everyone got turned off to front blocks because of the redneck that used a chunk of wood and it flung him off the road.

Again, I agree that saftey is important. BUT if it were as important as it should be, I wouldent have a raised vehicle at all. I think we can all admit that the trucks are safer at stock ride height for us and our fellow motorists. So, it it the stigma of front blocks or is it the fact that with that design they are still unsafe?

*******82 K5 All stock but wheels and tires, 305 4bbl, tranny? NP208*******

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Your idea sounds sound. But until it has actually been put through the ringer, there would be no real way to tell.

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well, with enough front block, you would lower the axle enough with respect to the spring that the drag link could begin to contact the spring. I guess all of the steering correction would have to be on the knuckle and not with a dropped pitman arm are dropped drag link. One advantage would be that you could keep the soft stock front springs plus have the sway bar work properly without any correction. You wouldn't even need to lower the bump stops.

I have seen front blocks before and stacked rear blocks. The level of unsafe, who knows... I heard of a guy nearby who put chunks of 4x4 post in the back. It drove around ok for a little while until he was having a "tug-of-war" with another guy's truck, at which point the rear end walked out from underneath the truck.

I can think of more than 1 better plan. One would be to weld spring perches to the axle that are a few inches high. Another would be to weld new front spring hangers down lower than the frame and then use longer shackles in the rear. It should be easy to get 2-3 inches of lift in the front that way without being too crazy.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I hear ya! I just would not want to be the one testing the theory!
    Would be kinda fun to take a total beater and lift it that way then go out to a farm or open land and hammer down for about 30min of thrashing and banging to see if the front fails! Heck out there you would just hit the grond and come to a skidding hault!!heheheh would be fun!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The reasoning behind front blocks being unsafe and rears OK is that there is different forces at work in the front than there are in the rear. The rear basicly just follows the front, The front is what CHANGES the direction of you rig and there are side and back forces at play that just dont exist in the rear. Unless you are cutting doughnuts or power sliding, you dont get that kind of a force. and even then it is not as great as in the front. The problem isnt the block popping out it is the added leverage on the sring center bolts that causes them to shear off the head. When that happens the block can be tied down 83 ways it wont matter because there is no center pin to hold it in place on the spring. I seen it happen to a friend that had little 3 inchers in the front when he bought the truck. He knew they were not right and was gonna change out to springs, but didnt have the money for the springs or different tires to drop it back down. He kept a close eye on it and torqued the axle every few days to make sure it was tite. He only needed to get a few weeks like this to get back and forth to work. He called me one nite and said he hit the brakes to make a turn and he was now looking at his truck w/ the right front wheel under the cab. He was lucky he was going slow (like 10 MPH) He had his wife and newborn daughter in the truck w/ him.

Can you do it... YES! Is it safe in any stretch of the imagination...NO! Even for temporary...NO!

There is a reason why front blocks are illegal in most states.

OK I have preached long enuff.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

front blocks are COMMON in bigger GVW trucks. most highway and off road tractors have front lift blocks. marrmon harrington kits to convert 2-5 tons come with fairly large front lift blocks.
    I DONT LIKE THEM AND WOULD NEVER USE THEM,
    but it is a common industrial piece.

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

How much would it cost to do it that way and wonder as opposed to buying springs and never looking back. I don't think your idea is bad, I just don't see a reason to skimp out It's kinda like building a new spring perch that is 4" tall, good in theory, but not really practical or safe.

Kyle
    89K5

12. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Blocks (front or rear) have the effect of increasing the twisting forces (wrap-up) applied to the spring packs. Because of this, I won't use blocks front or rear anymore. I just removed the 2.5" blocks from the rear of my '73 because of the problems they can cause. My spring perches actually bent and allowed the axle to rotate out of position as well as shearing one of my spring pack center pins and almost shearing the other. Granted, this is an extreme case and probably is a rare problem, but why take the chance? Spring packs aren't really that expensive.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

anyone seen a rear alum block shatter? I have and it sucks. I wouldn't run em front or rear.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

14. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen them shatter, but I have seen them deform. Alum is just too soft or brittle (depending on temper) for this use.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

15. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Well it works good on paper, but so didn't the Pinto....

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The only other thing I have to point out is that w/ a push/pull steering the added wrap on the spring would be a very bad thing. I think you would bend the springs.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

17. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

ever see any other type of steering on a bus or semi tractor?