Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Safe or unsafe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bakerlaw67, Jun 2, 2006.

1. bakerlaw67

bakerlaw67 Registered Member

2. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Might be fine with plywood on a little 1800# MG or other small two seeter, but I wouldn't crawl under a K5 sitting on plywood like that.

I see it holding a K5 or larger truck just long enough for you to crawl under it and have it crush on you. Heck even stock trucks are high enough to change the oil without needing to jack it up. I don't see the need for a big GM truck.

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

no...

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Agreed. Unless you build it out of steel, there's no way I'd trust it under 4500+ lbs.

I can get to everythying on mine (including sliding under the axles) with a lo-boy creeper, and I only have 35s.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As planned, I agree with this statement.

Woiuldn't be too hard to modify the plans to support a C/K truck, if you felt the need to do so.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Myself and 1 other person can move an MG Midget by ourselves and lift it well over 3ft. off the ground! Thats how light they are.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hillbilly lifts...

I's say it would be foolish to think plywood would hold up a full size GM truck,unless it was 4 layers thick or something..I'd at least use steel,angle iron or channel iron would be much safer!..

I want a lift in my garage,but have no money for such an expense now..I was looking at the ramps they have at the new car dealerships nearby,to display the new Jeeps and other vehicles..they dont look too complicated to build,though the amount of angle iron needed would probably be costly with todays steel prices,unless you scored some suitable stuff at a scrapyard by the pound..I'd use a winch to haul "dead" vehicles up onto the ramps,driving something up them looks scary!..and hard to get out of the truck after its up there!..have to make a ladder on it!..

One old timer nearby had a pit dug in his backyard with a backhoe many years ago,and he lined it with 2x4's and plywood,with plastic sheeting between the wood and the dirt,and a floor made of railroad ties..

He then got a huge oak tree about 2' in diameter and 25' long cut down in his backyard,and had a sawmill cut it lengthwise in half,to make them into ramps..and laid them over the pit with the flat side up,the right distance apart so many different vehicles will line up with the "ramps",and he bolted angle iron across both to tie them together so they wont shift out of position..he's used it for years to change his oil,mufflers,etc..but the town wants him to fill it in,fearing kids will fall in,or he'll get killed in the pit somehow..

Seen one guy use a car trailer with an open center as a lift--just propped the tounge end of its frame up with several rims....good idea if you own such a trailer....

I have a retaining wall made from huge 2'x4' solid cement blocks that run paralell to my driveway..I've put 3"x10" planks on the blocks to the driveway,as "ramps",and put cinder blocks under the "ramps" to prevent them from cracking,and driven my trucks up the ramps to do oil changes and other jobs..my father frowned greatly upon this however,so I haven't done it in many years..I have a friend with a lift I can borrow,but its always in use every time I want to use it!..:mad: