Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Safe solvent for parts washer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Mar 23, 2007.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

What do you guys use in your parts washers?I just picked up a 20 gallon washer from HF and the instructions say not to use any flammable solvents because of fire hazard from the recirculating pump.All the washers I have used in shops were pumping mineral spirits or something similar.O'Reilly carries "parts wash" in 5 gallon cans but the label says mineral spirits,caution-flammable.What is safe to use?-Allen

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

The stuff I use says Parts Washer Cleaner on it and it comes from Rural King. Harbor Freight here has it as well. I think the main ingredient is mineral spirits by the smell of it. Have never had any problems, works great.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That washer sucks. I have one full of simple green and it won't clean anything. The pressure line keeps leaking on mine.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

McMaster Carr sell parts washer solvent. I bought my stuff from them, dont rember the name but you can find it easy online. only difference was I special ordered it LANOLIN FREE. I did'nt want a film on my parts after cleaning. thought it might effect paint or powder coat even with grit blasting. if you want LANOLIN FREE you have to call them and they order it.

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep in mind that gloves really should be worn, as you will be affected by absorption through the skin, if you don't wear some protection. Short term may cause some inflamation, long term could effect organs and other highly prized body parts. As always read the warning labels, or look up a Material Safety Data Sheet about the solvent you use.

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Mineral spirits. used it for years. its cheap and works excellant.

7. destinbeachman

Guys,what I'm asking is wether or not mineral spirits is going to cause my garage to blow up or not.I use the stuff all the time for cleaning parts so I know it works.The frigging manual that came with my washer says not to use any flammable cleaning solutions.The parts washers that I have used in shops look exactly like the one I just bought and they used mineral spirits or something similar.Is the little electric pump going to ignite the spirits or not?-Allen

8. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Ozzyjuice
    I know I spelled it wrong , it's "green" thou.
    We use it at NPTU.

9. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Kerosene.
    And the pump in your machine is not going to cause ANY sparks. It's a mag drive, like a fish tank pump.

But what will catch on fire is leaving the lid up while grinding nearby. With ANY solvent.

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If it says "do not use flammable solvents" then there must be a reason. The best thing you can do is look up the contact phone number on the instructions and call to ask. They will be glad to tell you why. Could be the type motor they use or it could be because they figure most customers are using them in an enclosed area like a garage.

11. destinbeachman